Ruger Mini 30: some questions

Glamdring

I am looking at getting a Ruger Mini 30 for several reasons. I want a low recoil cheap plinker. I have owned a SKS in the past, I like the cartridge but didn't like the dismal sights and pratical accuracy of the SKS (my smoothbore 12 gauge did at least as well using slugs at 50 yards).

IIRC I read somewhere that Ruger uses a .308" barrel in the Mini 30 not a true .311" can anyone provide info to support or deny this? If it is then I can use common .308" bullets for reloading.

Are there quality 10 round mags for the mini 30? If so what brand/source & price?

What can I expect for accuracy with the mini 30? NOT expecting MOA but want 2-3MOA out to 150 yards with some type of softpoint.

1911greg

I can't answer all of your questions but can help with a few, the 10rd mags that I have found that work good for my mini 14 are the promags that you can get at fourfourmag.com for about $20 They are trying to get a contract with ruger so they have to be good. it seems like the 30's are shooting 3" groups at 100yards from what I have heard.

check out perfectunion.com there is a mini board.

HerbG

I'm an enthusiastic Mini 30 user, and here's what info. I can provide. First, the owner's manual that came with my rifle plainly lists bore diameter as being .308. I load exclusively with US made .308 bullets. Secondly, the rifle is light years ahead of the SKS in ease of mounting a scope, handling, appearance, and pride of ownership. Finally, my rifle typically gives 4-5" groups at 100 yards from the benchrest. Accuracy is the only flaw in the rifle in my opinion. It is at least equal to the accuracy of the SKS I own, and is adequate for deer at that range or perhaps out to 150 yards.

Glamdring

Thanks for the info guys.

HerbG: I assume one can shoot regular cheap 7.62x39 ammo (I'm thinking Wolf ammo) in the Mini 30 safely? What does the manual say about ammo? I want to be able to use cheap ammo for volume shooting, and handloads for semi serious varmint shooting. Might use it hunting once or twice but don't really plan to hunt big game with it.

HerbG

I finally dug out my instruction manual, and this is what it has to say regarding your question: "Ruger Mini Thirty rifles are chambered for the 7.62x39 cartridge, and can use either standard military or factory loaded sporting 7.62x39 cartridges manufactured in accordance with US industry practice........ The use of corrosively primed ammunition is not recommended." I have fired the cheap imported steel cased ammo in the Ruger, but I can produce a better and cheaper round by handloading, so I don't have much experience with the imported stuff. I don't care for steel cased ammo unless its being fired in a gun specifically designed for it - the SKS or AK for example.

zanthope

I can produce a better and cheaper round by handloading,

How?...I'm curious, and I'd really like to save some money. :D

I'm figuring you've got AT LEAST 7 cents/round tied up in the powder and primer; 122 gr FMJ rifle bullets are another 6 cents....adds up to about 13 cents at best, unless you're using lead.

Wolf and Barnaul ammo is 2.00/20 at the local gun shows... 10 cents a round.

Onslaught

IIRC, the Mini-30 has a forcing cone of some sort, that starts off at .311, and ends up at .308. This has been suggested as one of the accuracy detractors.

I had a Mini-30 that I absolutely loved, despite the fact that I too got 5" groups at 100 yards with standard 7.62x39 stuff. I used to just shoot at paper plates, because if I aimed at the center, I could expect to hit the somewhere on the plate 99% of the time :D

I never got an aftermarket mag to work properly, but they were most likely USA 20 rounders. I never tried a Pro-mag 10 rounder.

Glamdring

Some more questions :)

Anyone know what bullet (brand) Cor Bon uses in their 150 grain hunting load for the 7.62x39?

Has anyone used Speer's .308" (30-30) 130 or 150 grain flat tip soft points in handloads for the 7.62x39? What about the Barnes 150 flat X bullet?