Ruger Mini 14's, Folding Stocks, and Serial Numbers

lonegunman

I need some help trying to figure out the legality of installing a folding stock on a mini 14.

As I understand it, it is illegal to put a folding stock with a pistol grip on a mini 14 made after the assault weapons ban because it would have 3 evil features: folding stock, pistol grip, and hi cap mag.

Does any body know the serial numbers made before the ban??? It would be legal to put a folding stock on one of those wouldnt it?

P

PreserveFreedom

Last time I heard, it is illegal to put a folding stock on any rifle unless it is replacing one that is already on the rifle. Even if this would be the only "evil" feature and even if it was a bolt action made in the 30's. I would like to be proven wrong here, but I believe they are very hard on folders.

jimmy

Geez, how times change! I picked up my factory folding stock Mini a couple of years before the ban. No big deal at the time. The gun is the same now as it was then, and yet making it then was okay while making it now is illegal. Just another instance of the illogic of the ban. :rolleyes:

Your Mini needed to have at least 2 evil features prior to the ban date. A stock Mini would have had only 1, the ability to accept a >10rd magazine.

The law doesn't concern bolt actions and is much older than 2 years also.

Snapsho7

Sorry PreserveFreedom but you're wrong.

A PreBan firearm CAN have a folding stock ADDED to it. Just like a Preban AR can have a collapsible one added.

As long as it was made into a complete rifle prior to the ban date it can have all those "evil" features.
:rolleyes:

Hey lonegunman,

I'll look on my Preban Mini-14 with it's added on FOLDING stock and let you know about the serial number.
;)

P

PreserveFreedom

Kewl...I am glad to be wrong in this case.
I would like to be proven wrong here
A while ago, Ruger had a chart on their website that gave the approximate dates of manufacture based on serial number. I don't think it is there anymore though.