Ruger mini-14

USNRet93

In my kinda part time search for a rifle..Looked at High-Tec 995-TS, Lever Henry BigBoy...and Ruger Mini-14.

Comments, good ideas, bad ideas?

TJB101

I have a Mini14, vintage wood stock, along with a Henry 357 big boy ... both are very fun rifles to shoot. If I could keep one it would be the Henry. Just a beautiful gun.

Thomas Clarke

Who needs a reason for gun? One of each is always good. How wonderful it would be to have a single round for all three. Not likely but really nice. I have each one and they all are wonderful. I prefer the Henry, but the others are fun as well.

DubC-Hicks

You don't need a reason for a gun. But this is like asking "should I get a 24" rifled slug gun, or a single shot .410?" Without knowing any background as to why OP is wanting a rifle, we can't help much.

Want a cheap plinker? Varmint gun? Deer rifle?

USNRet93

Dub-C Hicks writes
3 completely opposite guns. What are you wanting the rifle for?

Just a fun gun to shoot in the outdoor, uncontrolled ranges here in CO..one up above Lyons, the other by Deckers, and Harris Shooting park..just for melons and paper targets. NOT home defense or anything..have 12g and G-19 for that.

I like the ones using a handgun round..since it's for fun, the ammo is cheaper..

Glenn E. Meyer

I'm confused. Mini-14s are center fire rifle flavor. There is a Ruger 9mm carbine for handgun rounds.

The latter is great fun in pistol carbine divisions in competition nowadays. It also gives you a compliant rifle in ban states (of various sorts) in the right configurations. However, a Mini-14 will do that too.

Wag

The Mini-14 is a fun gun to shoot. Get a bull barrel for it, though, if you want more accuracy.

--Wag--

COSteve

I own all 3 of the OP's considerations; leverguns, a Hi-Point 40cal, and a 583 Series Mini-14 as well as ARs and the Mini is by far my favorite even though I've had the ARs a decade longer. The newer Mini-14s, above a 580 series, have a thicker barrel than previous versions and coupled with some ejector changes, make for a decently accurate rifle. With good ammo, one can expect near MOA performance with just a few tweaks and tuneups that cost less than a decent trigger for your AR.

As a more compact and comfortable carbine, the Mini is much like a levergun in that it's not designed to be loaded down with lights and other junk but works best as an irons, simple carbine. I've set up my 'Mini M14' to mimic my M1A as I really enjoy shooting my M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and M1A. I use it to shoot bowling pins at 200yds with the target 'NM' style irons and it's plenty accurate enough to knock them dead.

Kinda looks good too . . . . . .

39j2Tdw.jpg

ThomasT

COSteve thats a good looking mini you have there. Can you tell me more about the NM sights? I have an AR and a 580 series mini and the mini will never be sold. I could sell the AR and never regret it. And the Pro-Mag 20 rounders I have work just as well as the factory 20 mags.

The only complaint I have about the mini-14 is that the 20 round mag digs in your back when sling carrying. I wish there were a way to make it lay flat like an M-1 Carbine.

COSteve

First, you replace the Mini's rear sight with a TechSight Mini200 and get the $15 option for a replacement post into which you can add one of the 3 size apertures. Then you insert the smallest, .042" diameter hooded aperture. It will look like this when done.

3ZIWMO0.jpg

Another advantage of the Mini200 rear sight is that it moves the rear aperture 1/2" back making it easier to get your eye closer to the sight that, coupled with looking through the small aperture, increases the Depth of Field (DoF) which is the distance from you eye that everything is in focus. On my Mini, the DoF effect makes it so that both the front sight and the target (be it 25yds or 300yds) are both in focus.

Then you address the front sight as the NM sights are thinner than stock. You need to thin the front blade down from it's .075-.077" thickness to .050" by carefully filing one side down by 1/2 the extra thickness (about .012-.013") using the other, untouched side as your reference plane. Only when finished with the first side do you start on the other side. You then file it down until you're to the desired blade thickness. That way the blade remains centered in the sight. (Note: I first thinned the stock front sight. When I added the new front sight/FH, I thinned that blade as well.)

OqNiXXv.jpg

Based on the shorter 18.5" barrel, your new sights a equivalent to the .052" rear and .062" front blade of the NM sights on my M1A.

As to your sling issues, I have seen some add a couple of swivels to the side of the stock so that the sling lays flat on the side. I learned how to sling a rifle on my shoulder in Basic carrying the M14 so the stock sling placement is comfortable for me.

USNRet93

Just fun outdoor range shooting. I like the idea of the handgun types(less $)..but I have always liked the looks of the M-14/Mini-14 but can get kinda pricy, ammo wise.

COSteve

... I have always liked the looks of the M-14/Mini-14 but can get kinda pricy, ammo wise.
As can all semi-autos. The solution is handload your own. Notwithstanding the price increases in components, the fact is that I can still handload for 1/3 the price (or better) what decent ammo costs. No, the junk blasting stuff can be had sometimes for about what I handload for but I actually want to hit what I'm aiming at so I make good quality ammo.

As I said above, I use my Mini to shoot at bowling pins and clay pigeons at 200yds with (sometimes I give 300yds a go). As you can see, it's just got iron sights so I need decent accuracy ammo to use with it as I do with all of the 16 calibers I handload for.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

Three completely different guns.

While no one needs a reason to buy a new rifle, we could be of more help to you if you let us know what you'd like to get out of it.

T. O'Heir

"I want one." is a reason. That's not a purpose though.
The Mini-14(An M-14 it ain't. Neither is an M1A.) is not accurate enough for the money demanded. My Plainfield M1 Carbine will shoot circles around any Mini-14. Mind you, for "fun outdoor range shooting" it's hard to beat. .223 ammo isn't terribly expensive. Still isn't worth the grand plus MSRP.
High-Tec is Hi Point. Cheap pistol calibre pretend SMG. Less expensive to shoot than any .223. About $25 for a 20 round mag. Assuming those are legal in your Republic.
The Henry's MSRP is a bit over a grand too. Couple hundred less at Cabela's. No mags to buy.

USNRet93

"I want one." is a reason. That's not a purpose though.
The Mini-14(An M-14 it ain't. Neither is an M1A.) is not accurate enough for the money demanded. My Plainfield M1 Carbine will shoot circles around any Mini-14. Mind you, for "fun outdoor range shooting" it's hard to beat. .223 ammo isn't terribly expensive. Still isn't worth the grand plus MSRP.
High-Tec is Hi Point. Cheap pistol calibre pretend SMG. Less expensive to shoot than any .223. About $25 for a 20 round mag. Assuming those are legal in your Republic.
The Henry's MSRP is a bit over a grand too. Couple hundred less at Cabela's. No mags to buy.
Son just got a Henry BigBoy in .38/357..that thing is FUN..About $800

T. O'Heir

The 'S' in MSRP means 'Suggested'. Retailers rarely sell anything at the MSRP. And 'fun' is a purpose as well as a reason. Us 'big kids' need our toys too.