Ruger Mini-14

j.chappell

I have always wanted one but have avoided them due to the inaccuracy. I have heard that the new ones are better than the old.

So if I were to buy one today what could I expect.

J.

j.chappell

I'm not expecting the world.

What I'm looking for is basic range reports. What kind of 100 yard accuracy am I looking at?

J.

Skans

The Mini-14 is an well made rifle. I would take one any day over either the SKS or the Saiga.

I've never been a fan of the SKS - owned a chinese one and didn't like the way it functioned, the way it felt, or the way it looked. I know that since the import ban that they aren't as common, but they are a down and dirty cheap rifle, in my opinion.

I have shot a mini-14 and own an AC556 (basically a full-auto Mini-14). Accuracy is not a real issue, since I have the 13" barrel on it.

However, the rifle is not inherently inacurate. ASI can put a custom barrel on it and turn it into a tack driver. The weak point in the Mini-14's as far as accuracy is simply the barrel. One thing I don't like about the Mini-14 is that Ruger doesn't make the parts readily available. Also, I never could figure out why Ruger didn't simply make the Mini-14 to use AR15 magazines. In semi-auto, you can pretty much use any decent after market mag. In full-auto, the rifle is a bit choosier.

The Mini-14 barrel, althout not made to be a tack driver, is NOT prone to wearing out - they are very tough and durable. I have shot my ac556 in full-auto until the thing was too hot to hold, and never came close to damaging the barrel. In fact, I've often thought about putting a heavier ASI barrel on it, but simply can't justify it because the stock barrel is tough as nails.

If I could only have one .223 rifle, I would probably choose a modified Mini-14 over an AR-15 for the following reasons:

1. I the way the Mini-14 looks in a tactical wooden stock, or even the SCAR stock.

2. It's all steel.

3. I'd get the all stainless - preferably the older style that was a bit brighter than the new dull stainless (purely cosmetic preference)
4. I woud upgrade the gas block and put an ASI heavy barrel on it with a compensator.

Now, I might have $1700 invested in this thing when all's said and done, but It would be a real tack-driving beauty compared to a Beer-Can 15.

Arquebus

They also exported the .222 Remington models to Australia (along with the .223) when they were still allowed to own CF semi-autos down there. The .222 Rem. has always been a VERY popular caliber with pro. Kangaroo shooters. As a matter of fact, I think pro. shooters & farmers are still allowed to own CF semi-autos with a special classification of licence.

Arquebus

Rootcanal, do you have a preference for the Mini 14 or the Mini 30. Any pros/cons & other informed thoughts would be much appreciated, as i'm thinking of buying one or the other.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've had four Minis; all early models; two blued and two stainless. I always mounted a K4 on top. They all would reliably put the first shots from a cold barrel in the same POI as the week or month before. I never tried for more than three shots in a group, generally. No point to it. Mostly, 1.5 to 2 MOA, which was plenty good for coyotes and jackrabbits. Very reliable with GI ammo, some gunstore ammo and a couple of thousand gunshow reloads.

Wish I still had one, but folks kept offering me money or interesting trades. :D

Tuzo

Great rifle

My Ruger Ranch-14 is a fine shooting rifle. I owned a Remington 700 .223 that was not suited to shooting 68 grain bullets due to slow rifling but the Ranch-14 shoots every .223 bullet with equal accuracy. It is not as accurate as my .223 Savage but that is another story. Shooting the Ranch-14 with a scope became tiresome and now iron sights are preferred. The Ranch-14 was just as accurate shooting with iron sights side by side a custom AR-16 at the local range. I shoot reloads using various bullets weights and IMR4895 powder.

All in all the Ranch-14 is a accurate, rugged, and well-designed rifle. Manufactured in 2000.

Last edited:

mukibetser

I own handguns, a shotgun and a CZ .22lr, but have been thinking it might be a good idea to get a centerfire rifle given what is going on in the world. Would use it at an outdoor range @ 100 - 150 yds and want it for the "SHTF" scenario (which I never gave much credence to, but nowadays doesn't seem so far fetched).

AR-15s are just not available right now, and the Mini-14 seems like a solid gun. I don't care if it's a "tack driver" or how it performs at more than 200 yds. Which model would you all recommend -- looking for best performance and reliability and ease of mounting a scope right out of the box since I am not going to upgrade. Thanks much.

All new Mini's are in the "Ranch" configuration now---meaning they all can have a scope mounted and come with rings.

I'd get the stainless/syn version if I were you.

Skans

looking for best performance and reliability and ease of mounting a scope right out of the box since I am not going to upgrade. Thanks much.

You want the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. Made to have a scope solidly mounted right out of the box. You might want to get the heavy-barrel version. It "appears" to be a thicker barrel, and probably is an upgrade from the standard barrel. But, it is still think where it runs through the gas block...which is sort of "cheating" when it comes to heavy barrels.

But, because you don't plan to do any upgrades, I'd invest in a stainless mini-14 ranch with heavy barrel.