Ruger Mini-14 Tactical

Bill DeShivs

Any reports on these? I saw one at my friend's shop today, and it's a great looking little gun. Thinking about calling him and getting him to hold it for me.

Deaf Smith

Bill,

At one shop I see a blue one for $999. At another shop I see one, exactly the same, for $799.

If the cheaper one was stainless, I'd maybe sit on it lay-away. But...

Now I've owned many a Mini-14, including GBs and the new model (without the heavy barrel though.) I've heard good things.

Try these people and see what they say. They are very knowledgable on the subject of minis.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Huey Long

Any reports on these? I saw one at my friend's shop today, and it's a great looking little gun. Thinking about calling him and getting him to hold it for me.

If I didn't have a lot of money to spend and wanted a tactical rifle, I'd buy one. It's basically just a Mini-14 with tactical furniture. What more do you really need to know?

Bill DeShivs

Well, the barrel is shorter than the standard, so I was wondering about any other changes that might have been made. Accuracy? Reliability? I have a standard Mini 14 and it's nice. This one seems nicer.
It's a moot point now-I called and asked him to put it away until I get back in town.

Actually--its a Compact rifle---which can be infered from its model designation-- M-14/20GBCPC.

Even with the flash hider its good 1.5-2in shorter than a std. Mini.

RobsImprza00

i purchased my M-14 20GBCPC last night, shot it at the local indoor range and had no complaints. Im not sure what ammo i was using though, the indoor range i went to requires the use of their .223 ammo.

Anyways, this gun is awesome! Its the 2nd rifle i have owned the other being a mosen nagan which is a whole other animal. The magazines clip in have a strong feeling to them and have almost no play. I went through 100 rounds with the gun in about 45 minutes to show how fast i shot. (2 20 rnd clips)

First i sighted the gun in, approximately 20 yards. Now for what i really came for. I setup multiple circle targets, 10 circles on a 24 x 24 sheet of paper with 2" circles. My objective was to see if i can land the 10 round 1/2 clip into each target. I have to say the gun is accurate, i counted 90 of the rounds in the circles. Each being marked after a clip. The final 10 rounds were shot in rapid fire in a controlled manor. first 5 stayed in the circle the other 5 were around the circle.

Conclusion, the gun is accurate 1-1.25" groups at 20 yards. Rapid fire its not so good after the first 5 rounds. Accuracy is not so much of an issue as with the previous years. Everything else about this gun Rocks, its a solid platform, no missfires, jams, comfy shoulder feel and minimal kick. I really like the gun, enjoyed shooting it and im sure it will last some time.