Ruger mini 14, remove flash hider, yes or no?

jetinteriorguy

I’ve recently picked up a Mini 14 tactical carbine and am really liking it except for the funky looking flash hider. So I’m thinking of deleting it, and am wondering how this will affect accuracy. I see no reason why I need it and it would shorten the rifle substantially making it even more handy.

rickyrick

Mini14s have pretty significant fireballs, however you don’t need the flash hider unless hiding in the dark.
The tactical version is threaded so take it off and screw on a thread protector.

My Mini14 has nothing on the barrel anymore, but mine was a pin-on.

It may change your point of impact.

USAMTU found that flash hiders can affect the point of impact. Unequal gas pressure on the base of the bullet can throw it off. That's why the NM M-14 flash hiders were reamed out. But consider the purpose of the flash hider. Small light signature. What's more important to you?

44 AMP

Staff
Anything you add to, or remove from a barrel CAN change the accuracy. Usually it affect the point of impact, but it could also change the group size, because what you added or removed changes the way the barrel vibrates.

Will it be a change you can notice? Will it be for the worse? or for the better?? The only way to find out is to shoot the barrel, before and after and see if there is a difference.

jetinteriorguy

Pretty much all answers I already knew, but was curious if there was any definitive change in accuracy, not so much a shift in POI since that’s almost a given. I’m really just interested in peoples direct experience with this particular change to the Mini 14 tactical. If no one has this experience to share looks like I’ll just give it a try and see what happens, I can always put it back on.

rickyrick

I would add that shooting a mini14 from the prone position in dry or dusty conditions is a miserable affair.
I had a compensator that had ports only on top for this reason.

I’ve since removed it... harder for me to get back up off of the ground now lol.

dahermit

USAMTU found that flash hiders can affect the point of impact. Unequal gas pressure on the base of the bullet can throw it off. That's why the NM M-14 flash hiders were reamed out. But consider the purpose of the flash hider. Small light signature. What's more important to you?
"... consider the purpose of the flash hider. Small light signature."

I was told that the purpose of a flash hider was not to conceal the muzzel flash from the enemy, but to protect the shooter's night vision. However, in Basic Training in 1962 Fort Knox, we had an exercise in night firing with our M1 Garands which had no flash hiders. I do not remember the flash from my M1 messing with my night vision at all. So I question that flash hiders protect the shooter's night vision. Comments?

jetinteriorguy

I would add that shooting a mini14 from the prone position in dry or dusty conditions is a miserable affair.
I had a compensator that had ports only on top for this reason.

I’ve since removed it... harder for me to get back up off of the ground now lol.
I have considered replacing the FH with a comp maybe some time in the future. At least it would be more practical and more aesthetically pleasing. This rifle is just a range toy that I’m playing with and having fun with.

Geezerbiker

I have considered replacing the FH with a comp maybe some time in the future. At least it would be more practical and more aesthetically pleasing. This rifle is just a range toy that I’m playing with and having fun with.
I recently did the same on an AR but I can't tell if it made any difference. I bought the muzzle brake for another rifle but got the size wrong so it had to go someplace...

Shadow9mm

I'm a big fan of linear comps. They push the blast forward and away from the shooter. softens the crack. Kaw Valley looks nice and smooth if you you want to get rid of the tactical look but still have something useful thats what I would do.

jetinteriorguy

I'm a big fan of linear comps. They push the blast forward and away from the shooter. softens the crack. Kaw Valley looks nice and smooth if you you want to get rid of the tactical look but still have something useful thats what I would do.
Hmm, interesting. I have looked at them before but hadn’t considered one for this rifle. Might have to think about it.

rickyrick

Oh good point.

I’ve used a linear Comp on a couple of ARs. They do work well.
I got them when you could still buy gun parts on eBay

44 AMP

Staff
Actually, I think a flash hider on a Mini 14 would look kind of cool. Never seen any, though. Lots and lots and lots of different flash suppressors though...

people use the terms interchangeably, even some manufacturers do it, but originally there was a difference, and despite today's slang blurring of definitions, there still is a difference, to me, and to the Army's parts supply system.

Using the definition developed before WWII and used since then, a flash hider is a (usually cone shaped) solid metal device, and the only hole in it is the one the bullet goes through. Some screwed on the barrel, some were clamp on the barrel. There are flash hiders (in the Army inventory) still today. The one most often still seen is a clamp on for the .50BMG.

There are also flash suppressors. The primary difference is that a flash suppressor has holes or slots in it, which allow part of the flash to "escape" to the sides which does break up the flash from the shooters point of view. Doesn't eliminate it (nor does a flash hider) but does change it to something other than a large fireball at the muzzle.

Doesn't matter a lot in casual conversation, but when you are dealing with parts, if you don't use the correct terms, you don't get the correct parts.

jetinteriorguy

Actually, I think a flash hider on a Mini 14 would look kind of cool. Never seen any, though. Lots and lots and lots of different flash suppressors though...

people use the terms interchangeably, even some manufacturers do it, but originally there was a difference, and despite today's slang blurring of definitions, there still is a difference, to me, and to the Army's parts supply system.

Using the definition developed before WWII and used since then, a flash hider is a (usually cone shaped) solid metal device, and the only hole in it is the one the bullet goes through. Some screwed on the barrel, some were clamp on the barrel. There are flash hiders (in the Army inventory) still today. The one most often still seen is a clamp on for the .50BMG.

There are also flash suppressors. The primary difference is that a flash suppressor has holes or slots in it, which allow part of the flash to "escape" to the sides which does break up the flash from the shooters point of view. Doesn't eliminate it (nor does a flash hider) but does change it to something other than a large fireball at the muzzle.

Doesn't matter a lot in casual conversation, but when you are dealing with parts, if you don't use the correct terms, you don't get the correct parts.
According to Wikipedia the terms are pretty much interchangeable. Most likely due to the typical language morphing that tends to happen over time, since when these references are made it has become understood in general use. I’ve also seen historical documents on the SMLE Jungle Carbine referring to the conical shaped flash hider as a flash suppressor.

44 AMP

Staff
I’ve also seen historical documents on the SMLE Jungle Carbine referring to the conical shaped flash hider as a flash suppressor.

And are those actual historical documents or "period documents"? Meaning were they written by someone with technical authority or just written by someone at the time? Not that it matters, people will call them what they feel like unless it matters to them.

I've even seen one rifle maker list their magazines as "clips" in an old catalog. They knew they weren't but called them that so people who thought they were would find the listing and buy them.

I don't have access to most of my old GI manuals without extensive digging, but I did find one with the part identified as flash hider, for the conical shaped solid body design, and other manuals identifying the cylindrical one with holes or slots as "Flash Suppressor".

the conical solid "flash hider" was a standard feature of the SMLE jungle carbine. Similar conical flash hiders were accessories available for several US WWII guns. You can find pictures of some in SMALL ARMS OF THE WORLD (Smith& Smith) on M1C and M1D sniper rifles. Similar devices were also used on some M3 / M3A1 submachine guns and the M2HB Browning .50 cal machine gun. I've seen and handled them as a Small Arms Repairman (MOS 45B20) in the mid 70s. Also the conical, solid flash hider that was standard on the barrel jacket of the M73/M73A1/M219 machine guns, and it is identified in TM 9-1005-233-24 as a "Flash Hider".

The slotted device on the end of the M14 barrel is identified in TM 9-1005-223-34 as a flash suppressor and the one on the M16 (both open and closed type) are identified in TM 9-1005-249-34 as flash suppressors. TM 9-1005-224-24 (M60 machine gun) also says it has a flash suppressor. I'll look for the manuals on the Grease Gun and Ma Deuce but I'm certain they name the conical shaped solid body devices as Flash Hiders the same as manuals I have found name the same shape items on other guns.

I know the line is blurred today, we're sloppy, particularly when it doesn't make any real difference, and do note that regular dictionaries give you definitions as found in general common use, and sometimes, when different, historical definitions, but none of these is quite the same as technical definitions used in industry and other specialized applications. And, also, of course many words in English have different definitions depending on specific context.

Just think of a simple word like RAM. Male sheep, yep. bash into something, yep, and since the computer age, also Random Access Memory (and to a lot of us, a Dodge truck;))....all different things dependent on context.

I was a Small Arms repairman in the Army, and that included being a small arms "parts guy" who did the ordering through the army supply system. Don't get the name (and number) right, you don't get the part you want.

After that I spent over 3 decades working hands on in the Nuclear defense industrial complex, Certified Fissile Material handler, Nuclear Process Operator, emergency first responder to chemical spills, and industrial accidents, researched and set lock and tag safety boundaries for repair/maint work, did Chemical management, worked with Industrial safety and Respiratory protection, and was also responsible for getting people safely and cleanly in and out of contaminated environments up to and including IDLH levels. All of these and many other things I spent my working life doing required proper use of precisely understood terms for materials, parts, equipment, and processes not just for getting the job done, but also for getting it done safely. Its a hard habit to break. :rolleyes:

sorry for the rant.

jetinteriorguy

It’s tough learning how to be properly precise in wording a part as a person involved as you’ve been and then seeing how the meaning gets blurred in the everyday world. Just like when one of the mechanics used to ask if he could borrow one of my scissors for a moment. I’d reply I don’t have any scissors, but since I only have shears he’s out of luck. Then he’d ask if he could borrow my ‘shears’ and I’d say sorry, that’s still a no. I’ve had people destroy some of my best shears in just a single cut by using them on the wrong material, not realizing they are ground for a very specific use. In my business the difference between tired aching hands and no pain in my hand depends a lot on how precisely sharp they are.