Ruger Mini-14 owners, I have a Question

Randy 1911

Last week I got a Ruger Mini-14 and have a question. Are you able to field strip the rifle for cleaning with a scope on it. I want to get a scope for it, but I am afraid that I would have to take the scope off everytime I clean it and then re-zero it. It looks that way to me at least. How would you remove the bolt with a scope on it? Thanis for any advise.

uncyboo

Shouldnt have any problem at all. At worst you might not be able to get the barrel shroud off if the scope bell is very big.

This. You can do all the cleaning you need to whether the top cover comes off or not.

Randy 1911

I just got back from buying a scope (Bushnell) thinking that Ruger wouldn't make scope rings for a rifle if you had to take it off just to clean it. But you guys made me feel better about buying it and putting it on. Thanks.

Randy 1911

Bad News

I just put the scope on and guess what? You can't remove the bolt, the operating handle or hand guard with it on. The one thing that I am thinking is the Ruger scope mounts have big thumb screws and locating pins in them so they will only fit in exactly one spot on the receiver. I hope it means that when I remove the scope I won't lose zero when I put it back on. I will find out tomorrow cause I am going back to the range. I will let you know.

horseman308

If the rings on the Mini 14 are the same system that is on the Number 1's and the M77's then you should be able to remove and replace the scope without losing your zero. I know I did it several times with my number 1 before I sold it.

olyinaz

The Ruger rings will hold zero very well. Of course if you're going to use it for hunting you'll want to verify before using it in the field but it will be very close and you need to do that with a new/different type of ammo anyhow.

With that said, there just isn't a need to take the rifle down and clean it drill sergeant spic and span. Heck, do the bore, wipe it out, oil it up for storage and be done with it!

Just my 2¢ worth...

Best,
Oly

Randy 1911

you need to do that with a new/different type of ammo anyhow.

I played a cruel trick on a friend once with that trick. I took him shooting and he was bragging about how great a shot he was. I shot first and put them all dead center. I then reloaded with a different type of ammo and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was laughing like crazy. He finanlly wised up to what I was doing.:D

Good to know it will hold "zero". Thanks Guys.

KMO

If you mount the scope on the Mini-14 using rings, you should be able to remove the hand guard, the slide, and everything else for a typical field strip, except for the bolt. The bolt removes from the top of the receiver and the scope mounted with rings will prevent it from being removed. You can still access the bolt for cleaning from the bottom side, though, with the trigger assembly removed, so that's not a big deal.

Here's another option...Mount your scope on a B-Square rail instead (not an aftermarket brand, a real B-Square). Using this see-under rail mount, you will be able to retain the use of your iron sights also, a nice option. When you go to field strip the rifle, the scope & mount will remove as a single unit, thus preserving your scope settings. With this unit removed, you can then perform a complete field strip, including removal of the bolt if you wish.

My only gripe with B-Square is their wave-type lock washer used for this mount is too flimsy (may loosen mount during firing). You can replace it with a better wave lock washer from any hardware store for just a few cents. When you do that, ditch the snap ring and spacer from the mounting knob and you'll get a much better bite on the threads located on the rifle's cover plate (a replacement plate comes with the mount).

If you don't want to go this route, at least go with the see-through type scope rings. As far as I know, the see-through rings made by Weaver work only on the Mini-14 Ranch model. If yours is a Ranch, these see-through rings will let you use your iron sights, and also lift your scope enough to perform a good field strip.

Randy 1911

KMO The rings that I am using are the ones that came with the rifle. They are made by Ruger. They have locating pin made into the bottom of the ring to make sure they realign exactly. I shot the rifle today to sight-in the scope. I came home and cleaned it and removed the scope in the process. I will go back tomorrow and see if it is still sighted in. I will let everyone know the results.

KMO

I'd be surprised if it holds zero after removal of factory rings. The see-through rings made by Weaver for the Mini-14 have a locator pin in the bottom as well, but they are designed to fit only the Ranch model. Is yours a Ranch?

Randy 1911

KMO I do not remove the rings from the scope Just remove the rings from the guns. It is a Ranch rifle. Like I said, I sighted in the scope today, came home and removed the scope to clean the rifle. Then will go to the range tomorrow to check zero. I will let everyonge know how it works out.

KMO

The part number for the Weaver see-through rings to fit your Ranch model is 49723. I did understand what you meant when you removed your rings with your scope still attached. I still think it will require sighting-in again after remounting, but let us know...;)