Ruger Match Champion

327 FM

Anybody out there have one?

This year's model has adjustable sights. Last year's has the novak sights. Which would you prefer? Note, I already have other GP100s with adjustable sights. Are the ones with novaks "on" out to 25 yards or do you have to hold in certain positions to hit the target?

I myself have handled four. One was real nice (fit and finish) with an awesome trigger (that gun is now gone). One was real nice (fit and finish) with a horrible trigger. One had an incredible trigger but a weird looking cylinder gap. It was noticeably tighter at the top of the forcing cone and cylinder, than at the bottom (is that what they mean about canting?) One looked like it was polished with a wire brush and the lazer engraving was so rough, you could have used it for a file. Trigger was so bad on that gun, it would turn you into a Taurus fan. That was the only one I've handled with adjustable sights.

I'm a little gun shy about shelling out $800 for something I'm going to have to send back or to a gunsmith. I've been a Ruger fan for many years but I keep hearing and reading horror stories about Ruger's QC in recent times. I already have one Ruger gun that has frustrating me to the point I not sure I want to give my blue collar dollar to Ruger anymore, but I would for a Match Champion if it was "right".

UncleEd

In N. Georgia, the MC runs between $600 to nearly $700.

I have two fixed sighted ones; no troubles.

As to accuracy, I shoot double action only at short distances and without my reading glasses, which I've stopped wearing while shooting, the sights are
a bit fuzzy. The Novak rear and Hi Viz front work fine as reference points.

It's meant for IDPA and the adjustable sight would be nearly useless.

But if you like adjustable sights, go for it.

The MC is Ruger's answer to Smith's SSR.
They are the same weights and are only
ounce and half more than a Model 19/66
though both are L-frame sized.

As to speed loaders, use the L-frame sized
one for the MC, regular GP 100, the Smith
586/686 and I believe the SSR.

MrBorland

UncleEd said:
It's meant for IDPA and the adjustable sight would be nearly useless.

huh? :confused: Adjustable sights offer a much better sight picture, IMO. All of my runNgun revolvers have adjustable sights, and I know of few serious runNgun wheelgunners who use fixed sights.

As to the MC - depending on what you use it for, the half lug may or may not work to your benefit, as the full underlug helps make the gun more controllable.

My personal recommendation is to buy what you're drawn to, but if in doubt, buy a standard GP100/686 (with adjustable sights) and spend the balance of the money on some good tuning by a good 'smith. You'll have a better gun in the end.

UncleEd

The MC fixed sights are actually rather generous, as large as or larger than
the adjustable sights from Ruger.

As to so-called runNgun competitors, I'd rather look at the combat handguns of the U.S. military past and present, the majority of police forces past and present and the snubby field for SD. And for an added measure look at the slicked up guns from such outfits as Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, etc. etc.

I'm speaking only from the so-called "combat handgun" perspectives.