Ruger Mark IV extractors: known issues with the new Standard?

Being new to .22 handguns (age 63), recently bought the M&P .22 and really enjoy it.

Scanning random Google (non-commercial) reviews, a WI gunsmith reported that he had issues with his extractor due to burrs from the production's stamping process when residue collects on the burrs.

Is this known to be somewhat frequent, or only in extremely dirty Mark IVs?
He also claimed that Six companies sell replacement extractors used in the Mark series handguns and the 10/22 rifles. This made me wonder a bit why there might be a market for so many replacements, if this is true.

***Never mind***. I've finally read far too many complaints about the 2017 Mark IVs having one of three various issues. Many of these Might not compare with my M&P's reliability-it seems.

It's obvious that nobody here wants to bother recommending this gun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Bought the Mark IV Standard a few days ago, new in a gun store. I've used about 400 rds: G. Bullet, Win. X, Fed. Champion, both Standard and CCI Minimags.

It has functioned perfectly with modern ammo. A very old box of Golden Bullet often won't ignite. The brass and many bullets are discolored.
Other than a friend who has meaty hands (two stovepipes), it has done amazingly well.

TunnelRat

We did a good job, phew. Even without saying a word we managed to convince you to give the pistol a try regardless.

My dad used to do this actually. He'd say, "It's your money", and go back to what he was doing. Was a great way to make people work it out for themselves and go with what was usually their gut instinct.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TruthTellers

There have been issues with the Mark IV, the biggest being a safety recall. I've felt since it was announced it was a rushed knee jerk reaction to S&W's Victory and between the two, I'd feel more confident in the S&W.

But the Kel-Tec CP33 has changed everything for me, so now both those low capacity Fudd pistols can kiss my grits cuz I'm moving with the times to the polymer infused future with the damn Reb pistol you load on the first and shoot all month.

gnystrom

As a RSO I can pick up our "dud bucket" and 90% of the ammo in there will be Remmington Goldern and Thunderbolts. We actually use that ammo in our basic handgun course because it helps teach our students how to handle malfunctions.
As for MK IV extractors, a number of manufacturers make an aftermarket product that will never give you any problems at a cost of $12 and can be changed by anyone in less than one minute.