Ruger Mark III

Adventurer 2

I used to own a Ruger Mark I (skinny barrel, fixed sights). I sold it last year because the offer was just too good. I’ve been missing that Ruger more than I knew. That is the only way I can explain my impulse buy on a 5 ½”, bull barrel, Mark III this weekend. I broke it down last night for a cleaning. I never knew how to take apart the Mark I so I never did – simply rodded the barrel and used breakfree where I could. The Mark I fired everything I ran through it. Field stripping the Mark III required a mallet and a wooden golf tee. I don’t think the directions for disassembly/reassembly were the best but it really wasn’t that difficult to do. I hope, eventually, I won’t need the mallet in order to set the barrel back. My advice is to make sure the bolt stop pin fits in easily before you put the bolt in because then you know everything is lined up. I usually completely clean my firearms after use but this one could follow in the Mark I’s footsteps (maybe every 500/1000 rounds). There are so many things I like about the Ruger: the heft, grip and angle, adjustable steel sights, wide serrated steel trigger, no barrel slide, bolt lock open after last shot. It doesn’t bother me that the pistol has a loaded chamber indicator and the same goes for the magazine fire disconnect (it’s not a combat pistol). I wanted to know if the Mark III was as reliable as my Mark I so I grabbed my bucket of bullets. The bucket of bullets is a mix of about 20 years worth of miscellaneous 22LR bullets. I don’t like a semi-auto 22LR (Sig, S&W, Walther) unless it can function from the bucket of bullets. I fired 200 rounds today (it was cold out) and had one malfunction which isn’t really the fault of the pistol. My loose fitting glove got caught in the bolt and kept it from closing. When I was leaving the range, I dropped the magazine, checked the chamber, let the bolt go, and pulled the trigger, hammer didn’t fall – oh yeah, the magazine disconnect, put the magazine in, pulled the trigger, hammer falls, drop magazine, go home. So I have to make one small change clearing my weapon by putting the mag back in. Like I said, it doesn’t bother me. I recommend this pistol (but I was slightly biased going into it).
The attached target is ten shots from 45 feet (15 yards). It was cold out and the ammo was a mix – that’s my excuse for not all of the holes touching.

Attachments

• Ruger Mark III.jpg
    Ruger Mark III.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 116

B. Adams

I bought a 22/45 MKIII a few months ago, and one of the first things I did was to make a spacer to replace the magazing safety. It makes things so much better. :)

It almost sounds like you're apologizing for buying a Ruger, but I've always liked them. Nice choice in my book.

I'm sure you know this already, but you never should have sold your Mark I. ;)

slick slidestop

You're just having a little buyers remorse thats all:D

I have the same pistol, but in the MKII version, and it is my favorite pistol (and I have many pistols) to shoot.

I have to agree that I can't stand The disassembly/reassembly procedures though.

Adventurer 2

I have no regrets about buying this pistol. I like it a lot.
Did I mention that it is drilled for a scope base which came with it? I have never scoped a pistol but I have heard that these pistols are a blast with a red dot on them.

landsman

Several months ago I bought a MkIII Hunter with 7 inch barrel. The gun is great. I use it to shoot steel plates at 25 yards. It's a lot of fun with a red dot.

landsman

I don't like them, that's why I put a red dot on the gun and I bought original Ruger sights from Brownells in case I don't want to use the red dot. It's hard to get the elevation right with the Express sights. Although I think the express sights are a good idea on a carry gun, when you need to find your front sight in a hurry and at a close distance.

gopack

Nice review. The MKIII's are good shooting pistols.

I bought the Hunter because I could see the Hi-Viz front sight better. I don't have any problems with target acquisition or sighting in on the target. I also have a 22/45 and MKII comp with the standard sights. They do ok, but I'm considering painting them to improve my ability to see them. I also shoot with red dots, which make the "can I see the front sight" issue moot.

woodspirits

I have two Mark III Hunters, a 22/45 4 1/2" and a conventional 6 7/8". I removed the mag disconnects on both....improved the triggers on both and simplifies field stripping tremendously......no more mag in, mag out, mag?.....I am able to now field strip and reassemble in very few minutes.

Today my youngest son brought his girlfriend plus a friend of the girl friend (both girls in their twenties). Neither had ever fired a gun but wanted to try. We took the pistols below the hill on our property and set up targets.

I gave the two girls some safety instructions, proper off-hand grip techniques, etc. and soon they were shooting the two Rugers. I was amazed at how quickly those pretty little girls adapted to the Mark III's and how well they were on targets.

I spent the day loading mags and did not shoot; my son shot a few mags and was content watching the girls enjoy the target shooting. I loaded two 550 Federal bulk packs and a 100 box of Minimags for them......not one malfunction of either pistol with over 1200 rounds of cheap ammo.

The girls were so enthused with the range shooting they couldn't wait to get back to Indianapolis and buy their own Ruger's.....it made me feel good to see "younguns" have so much fun participating in such an old and clean sport. :):)