Ruger Mark III accessories

XD45Sooner

So I just got a Mark 3 with the 5.5" bull barrel for my bday. What accessories would you guys reccomend? I dont want to put a red dot on it quite yet. I was thinking about a set if the target grips. Any reccomendations?

herbie1

loctite.

My front sight, rear sight and scope mount kept coming loose.

Make sure you get the non-permanent loctite.

I also replaced the scope mount with a Tactical Solutions Picantinny rail. (to fit with the existing screw holes, the rail had to be turned backwards and mounted with only 2 screws, but it is an excellent setup) I thought Ruger scope mount was crap. My scope rings never fit tightly on it.

I use Warne Quick Detach rings with a 4x Simmons scope. This allows me to use the scope or iron sights whenever I want.

The Mark III is one of my favorites.

H.

joe1347

If you're planning on using the pistol for Bullseye shooting, target grips from volquartsen are one option. Note: only the grips on the metal frame MKIII's can be replaced. A target sear that significantly improves the trigger pull is also a common 'first choice' upgrade. An Ultra-dot scope is obviously a must if you want to be competitive in bullseye shooting.

ruger_vq.jpg

tom234

btolliverjr

+1 to the VQ accurizing kit (hammer, sear, trigger, springs, etc.)
+1 to the Hogue grips with thumb rest.

Tom234, or anyone else, How do you remove that pesky magazine disconnect?

zebulonsmith

The mag disconnect isn't all that hard to remove if you're handy. You have to detail strip the gun and it can be a bit of a pain to get back together though. I don't have one in front of me at the moment, but I'll try to guide you from memory.

Detail strip the gun and take a look at the trigger assembly. There is a pin running through the frame that the hammer rotates on. IIRC, the mag disconnect rides on the right side if the gun is facing away from you and the pin is removed right to left. The easiest way is to carefully push the pin out with a drift that will fit all the way through so that you can leave it there and not have to reassemble everything. Push the pin out right to left, then with another drift, push the first drift out from right to left so that everything is still together. Now you can carefully remove the disconnect and do the drift shuffle again to get it all back together. Initially, I put a small washer in place of it as a spacer, but found that it bound things up a little and removed it. I'm working on about 5000 rounds since then and there is no extra wear that I can see.

Keep an eye on the safety lever, there's a spring and a small bearing inside that holds it in position and are just waiting to rocket themselves across your workbench if it comes apart. I can't fathom why Ruger thought a mag disconnect would be a safety feature, considering that you have to insert the magazine and pull the trigger to reassemble the gun after a field strip.

XD45Sooner

Can you shoot bullseye with just a 22? I know there are different classes where you shoot with a 45 also...do you have to compete with a 45 as well as the 22? Also, I didnt know you could use a red dot in bullseye

joe1347

Can you shoot bullseye with just a 22? I know there are different classes where you shoot with a 45 also...do you have to compete with a 45 as well as the 22? Also, I didnt know you could use a red dot in bullseye

Sure, there are just .22LR matches at some clubs - and yes, you definitely can use a red-dot scope for NRA bullseye.

Regarding the other Volquartsen (VQ) mods suggested, if funds are limited - the VQ sear is likely your top priority to improve trigger pull (dramatically), a red-dot scope should be next on your list, followed by a better grip.

Southern Cross

I just joined the Ruger camp with a MKIII 22/45. The MKII/III and 10/22 series seem like one of those things that every shooter has to have. I just picked mine up tonight and I'm heading to another dealer tomorrow to buy the Gemtech Oasis suppressed upper for it. I was wondering if it was posible to add a rail to the Gemtech. I can't really tell from any pics I've seen whether or not the sights on the Gemtech have the same holes tapped as the standard MKII/III upper. I figured this would be a good thread to ask on instead of making a new one since this one already has some MKII/III accessorizing eyes on it.

Thanks