Ruger Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

I'm seriously considering a ruger Mark II type pistol as my first handgun. I like the looks of buth the 22/45 models and the Government Competition model ( thats the one with the slab sided 6 7/8" barrel).

What I would like to know, is it worth it to spend over $200 hundred more on the competition model, or would I be just as happy with the 22/45 (the sugg. retail of a blued 22/45 is $237.50 which looks like a great deal)? Both guns are very accurate and show their true accruacy with a scope attached.

Thanks
Christopher Nemeth

Mike Baugh

Christopher , I have 2 of the bull barrel 5 1/2" Rugers with Clark triggers , Hogue wood grips and Wilson spring kits installed and I love them . I used to have a 6 7/8" Government and a stainless 6 7/8" Government Competition with a Burris 2x scope and full action job . I have more fun with the 5 1/2" guns . The scoped Government was very accurate but I needed to shoot it from a bench to take advantage of it . I like the balance of the 5 1/2" guns better for offhand shooting and to me they are just as accurate as the 6 7/8" models . I use mine for squirrel hunting so I feel they are pretty accurate . Good luck , Mike...

DonL

Another 5-1/2" bull barrel fan here. They seem to have some of the better balance out of the Ruger MkII line, Clark trigger in mine is sweet, but I'm looking for something other than the current Pachmayr. I've had my MkII for a dozen years or more, never had to replace anything or fix anything, jsut clean it and shoot it. It's a great little gun.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Hal

I have both the slab side 6 7/8 and the 22/45 with 5 1/2. Of the 2 I prefer the 22/45. It is every bit as accurate and it has fed everthing from 36 grain Winchester Xperts to CCI stingers. The slab side chokes on hollow points and the Xperts ( a small dab of hot glue inside the mag well to push the magazine is supposed to cure the failrue to feed). I use the 22/45 as an open sight cheap practice gun in place of my Browning Hi-Power, the BHP and the 22/45 are identical in grip angle and grip dimension. The 22/45 would be one of the last guns I would part with. The Mark II holds no similar endearment, although it is a decent gun. IMHO the 22/45 is the most underrated $200.00 gun you can buy. I bought mine new last summer and have put close to 15,000 rounds through it. It shows no sign of wear. I think the polymer frame aids the trigger action. It seems to be a bit *slicker* than the stainless Mark II where the trigger parts rub against the frame. I would buy the 22/45 and use the extra money for ammo. The only advantage the Mark II has is the pre-drilled holes for mounting a scope.

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
Guess I'm too old to have an opinion on the MarkII/.22/45 question, I'm still waiting for my 1969 5 1/2" Bull and '200th Year' T678 to wear out. I would like to observe that when I saw the 'suggested' price of the Govt. Comp, in Ruger's ads, I was flabbergasted. Can't have been that many improvements in 30 years! ( I recall I traded a couple of junk .32 autos for the Bull and laid out the astonishing sum of $90 cash for the T678, both new in the box. Not bad for guns that will STILL shoot sub-inch at 25yards with WalMart bulk ammo!) There is a lesson to be learned here: Rugers in the all-steel configuration can be expected to outlast their original owners. About the plastic frame, only time will tell. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Robert Foote

FWIW, my first pistol was a 6" standard model back in 1959--foolishly sold it a couple of years later. I dallied around with some variations, including another 6" and picked up one of the fairly rate T514s; shot a variety of other people's including bull barrels, target models, etc. The best solution for me was a 4 3/4" standard beater that I picked up and rehabilitated. Put a Clark steel trigger and a GOOD pull on it, zeroed it for the load I use, and absolutely love the gun. I honestly think that it will shoot right along with any gun out there. The longer I do this the more I like a light, handy pistol.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.