Ruger Mark II Observations...

Skans

I have a Ruger Mark II all stainless target pistol that had been giving me problems with the trigger. Basically, when it cycled a round into the chamber (safety off of course), I could press the trigger and nothing would happen. But, this happened only intermitently. I'd keep pressing the trigger and nothing would happen, but when you least expected (as I kept mashing on the trigger) BAM a round would eventually fire.

So, I set the gun aside until I had a chance to take it apart and examine the trigger mechinism.

I made several observations upon doing this:

1. This is one of the hardest guns to dissasemble and reassemble...and, YES, I'VE DONE IT BEFORE.

2. This was one of the dirtiest guns, internally, that I've ever dissasembled. Spotless on the outside, yet filthy on the inside. I had to take the entire gun down, including removal of the barrel and fire control parts and clean them all in solvent to get the crud off. I figured out what the problem was - there was so much carbon build-up on the plunger that goes between the trigger and trigger barr (pardon my non-technical description of the parts) that I think it was getting stuck and not opperating the trigger bar to release the internal hammer.

3. getting the crud out of all of the nooks and crannies on the Mark II is a real PITA!!

4. Reassembly is worse than dissasembly. I had a hard time getting the safety switch to stay in place. Then I had a hard time getting the internal hammer to be in the right position to get the latch to catch. I needed a rubber mallet to get the barrel on and off.

5. .22 ammo must be the dirtiest ammo in the world! I don't recall my AK-47 fowling up this much when I used to fire the old Chinese Corrosive stuff in it. For Pete's sake, how much crud can fit into a .22???

Ruger, if you ever make a Mark IV, here are a few suggestions:

1. Incorporate some kind of "tool" on the magazine so that you can pull that lever for dissasembly without scratching up the pistol with a screwdriver or other sharp object.

2. Make the pistol more "modular" so that the crud from the .22 ammo doesn't completely coat each and ever fire control part, plunger and spring.

3. Make the barrel removable without having to smack the upper receiver and muzzle end with a rubber mallet.

4. Make a better safety so that parts don't fly all over each time can't find an 11th finger to stop it from dropping out.

Is it just me, or does anyone else struggle with their Ruger .22 pistols the way I do?

Bama46

I have a Mark II that has survived the stress of training 2 rambunctious boys to shoot... (oldest is now 38)I can fondly remember afternoons in which I did nothing but load mags for those 2 to shoot... and now it is being used to teach the oldest grandson to shoot...and he has a young cousin coming up..
Of course, I have put a round or 2 down the barrel over the years too..
I mention this to let you know I have disassembled and reassembled it MANY times over the years and have never had any particular problems. It is a little more unforgiving in that the firing pin Must be installed properly or you have a paperweight and the mainspring can be a pain. I have found that a paperclip is the best tool to take tension off the mainspring. As for assembly, knowing the right time to turn the piece upside down is a key...
I find a good toothbrush is essential to get the gunk out, along with some plastic pics, but it is no dirtier than my other .22's...

Ed