Ruger Mark 111 ?

WolfDog

Yes they are.

Some were released before the redesign of the Loaded Chamber Indicator and Ruger is supposed to be sending out retrofit kits to those people who already bought one.

One of my local dealers has a Mark II Target in stock and it is a nice gun if you don't mind the Lawyer locks and all that on them.

I am about to buy a Mark I myself.

Colduglandon

Saw it in a gun shop in Mass. Its Mass compliant! $300 was the price. Comes with the rail for a scope if you want to mount one.

Colduglandon

Our Attorney General Tom Reilly has a seperate set of rules based on "consumer safety" which he uses on top of our already draconian gun laws to limit what weapons can be sold in Massachusetts. For instance there are certain guns, like the 1911 style and Sig Sauer that can no longer be sold in Mass unless the gun itself is grandfathered in before a certain date. Thats what Mass compliant means. Do a google search on it if you want the details. The Four Seasons Gun Shop in Woburn Mass has the details on their website.

Jump boot

Thanks gentleman

Thanks for the info on the Ruger Mark III. I learn something every day.I'm glad the question was posed about Mass Complaint.I was going to ask that too, this morning, but I was running late for work.
Are the Mark III's supossed to be pretty good for a target shooting pistol?I have a MarkII but my shooting buddy wants a Mark III since he shot the barrel out of his compitition MarkII.When are the scheduled to be out on the shelves?

WolfDog

The Mark III's are mechanically and structurally identical to the Previous models of Mark II and even the Mark I.

The only difference is the addition of a magazine disconnect which requires a extra tab on the hammer which goes into a new notch on the magazine.

A hex key style screw lock to disengage the spring thus locking the gun.

And the Loaded Chamber indicator which is a small metal tab that sticks out whenever a round in chambered. The first release had a one piece design that was determined to be potenially unsafe due to the possibility of a drop fire when someone who purchased it noticed this and tested it using a hammer to impact the indicator and managed to fire the gun multiple times.

The new version is a 2 piece design and Ruger is supposed to be shipping a retrofit kit to all older one piece design owners of the Mark III.

All the Mark II aftermarket parts work fine in the Mark III. In Fact by swapping in a few Mark II parts you can disable the Magazine disconnect and the key lock on the Mark III and the gun will still function flawlessly.

shellpicker

Jump boot

Tell your shooting buddy that www.tacticalsol.com is making a new lightweight barrel for all ruger models. They come in any length you want. bull barrel, fluted barrel or in a myriad of colors. I have ordered one and expect it to arrive any day now. Cost is in the 200's depending on barrel length, color and shape. They are considered as receivers and you need an FFL or someone who has one to get it. The old bolt and frame work with the new barrel/receiver. Shel

Colduglandon

Jump Boot

They are on the shelves in Mass. I have not seen the stainless model yet in the shop, that was in the American Rifleman last month, an add as I recall.

RUT

>Are the Mark III's supossed to be pretty good for a target shooting pistol?<

Just don't be expecting a target trigger, cuz on Rugers it ain't!! :(

Hawgleg44

I picked one up, a MKIII bull-barrel, and I love it. Accuracy of the gun exceeds what mine is. I sighted it in at 50ft, and it was shooting one-hole 3-shot groups with CCI Green Label ammo.

I agree about the trigger. I think it would be fine if I install a trigger stop.

There's a little confusion about what is and what is not MA compliant. You can get a 1911, as long as it's the S&W full-size. There are a few Sig models which are available, just about every S&W, all Berettas, except for the pocket .22's and .25's, all Ruger revolvers, Ruger P345 and MKIII bull barrel only.

If you go on the Department of Public Safety's website, they have a list of what has passed their testing. You'll see it's just about everything. Then, the AG passed his "Consumer Protection Act" which set a 10-21-98 date. Anything registered in this state prior to that date is grandfathered in. Anything manufactured after that date had to meet his regulations. The only problem is that he has no list. I asked his office for one, and they said they do not keep one. In thier words, it's the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure their guns meet his regulations. A dealer (and only a dealer, not a private citizen) who transfers a non-compliant handguns, is subject to a $5000 per gun fine.

NEtracker

Yes...the AG's infamous "double secret" unpublished list.
It's up to manufacturers to get each model they want to sell in MA on the published roster, then comply with the AG's regs, but the AG will not tell them if they do comply. The AG, will, however, tell them if they do not comply, after they try selling here. (i.e. the new Glock mess last year).

Picked up a Ruger MKIII 512 at Four Seasons end of Dec. It's a fine shooting, accurate pistol.