ruger m77mkII .308

onthedrums

I have limited experience with this rifle as I don't own one, but my brother bought one in .270 and out of the box accuracy with factory loads was very poor.Maybe 6 inch groups at 100yds.He then gave it to me to glass bed the action and float the barrell.Afterwards factory loads went to about 3 inches.We then worked up a hand load and now it will shoot about 1.5 or so.
Just seemed like alot of trouble when he coulda' just bought a Remington. ;)
I also have a friend who swears by Ruger.My bro just bought one in .204 but I haven't heard him say how it shoots yet.

Smokey Joe

Ruger M77--The little American Mauser

Recently bo't a used M77 MkIITarget in .243Win. Have shot it a little, group is 1 1/4" @ 100yd with my starting load of IMR 4350 and a 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip; assume I'll be able to halve that or better with continuing load development.

Gun is well made, solid, feels nice to me.

Bottom line is, I'm happy with it. If it fits you nicely you have a nice rifle. I'd expect it to be quite accurate in .308Win, and be highly disappointed if that were not the case. (Like writing Ruger's customer support people and asking what gives.) But you do have to do the load development to get the max accuracy out of this or any rifle.

Enjoy the development. As always, the quest is part of the destination.

molonlabe

I have a VT in .308. It is heavy barrel with a good two stage target trigger and I have got 1/2 in groups at 100 yards and I am still developing the load.
The trigger is excellent since I shoot military rifles. I like it and I got a good price on it in the used rack for 400 bucks as it was only two months old. I suspect someone wanted a hunting rifle and decided this was too heavy. Again You will have to work the loads to get the best accuracy.

I use a sierra 168gr match king with IMR 3031 powder.

Enjoy.

Poodleshooter

Yes, I have a SS KM77MkII in 308. It's my basic deer rifle. It shoots about 1.5" groups at 100yds with my best handloads,and runs about 2" with almost everything else. It's a reliable bolt gun,though nothing special.

Mannlicher

I currently have two Model 77 Rugers. One in .243, that I bought back in the early 70s, and one chambered in .250/3000 Ackley. That rifle is a full stocked International model.
I have always been pleased with the accuracy, durability, and performance of my Rugers.

Dean C

My M77 (not MkII) in 270 at 100 yd. factory loads (130 and 150 gr.) usually ties all the holes together. I'm very pleased with it. That's from a rest. I won't tell you what it does off-hand. It's far more accurate than I am.
dean

Grim Reaper

I shoot a MKII in 308 and find it to be highly accurate, reliable and deadly on whitetails. I've loaned it out to a couple of other guys and they had the same results as me.