Ruger M77 vs Savage Axis XP vs ??

Lohman446

I have decided I "need" a .243 and am going to spend in the budget of $500 (or under). I have a line on a nice M77 (used) but am also considering the Axis XP. The M77 has a 20" barrel which may limit the .243 to some degree but will make it handier when my children start hunting with it.

Thoughts? Other rifles I should be considering?

No I am not tied to the .243 A similar cartridge such as the .257 Roberts would work. I am tied to a bolt action (or single shot) rifle. The Ruger No 1 that was my first choice is out of budget. I prefer non detachable magazines but am aware of the arguments for them so that preference is not high enough to alone sway my opinion. The same goes for wood stocks - while I prefer them I am still torn on the options.

Don Fischer

I'll make a suggestion. I have never shot the newer Savage's with the good trigger. With the old 110, they were plenty accurate in spite of the trigger, you just needed to learn trigger control. I took a chance a while back and got a Mossberg Patriot in 243. I really like the way they look in a wood stock but getting there was harder than I though where I live so I had to get one with a plastic stock and order a new wood one from Mossberg. Got the wood one about a week after I bought the rifle so I did shoot it just a bit, worked up a load with the 75gr Hornady V-Max.I have a few very accurate,to me, rifle's, they stay right at 1/2" at 100 yds.Right our of the box this Mossberg shot right with them. Best out of the box rifle I've ever seen by a long shot! Even the trigger, 2 1/2# right out of the box!

If you don't care about the plastic stock or simply don't mind it, it cost me $300 bread new from Sportsman Warehouse. They install a set of scope blocks on all of them but stop and that would not stop me from getting another. After putting in in the wood stock I'd planned on going through the bedding. HUH! Not one even tiny thing wrong with the bedding. Only problem I had was I got to much torque on the rear action bolt and broke the trigger guard. Read bolt goes through the front of the trigger guard. Called Mossberg and told them what happened and they said, to much torque; only give it 20 to 25 lbs. I offered to pay for the trigger guard and the shipping, no way, the picked up the bill for it.

If there's something people are going to shy away from, it's the plastic. Magazine and magazine well are plastic and made so to hold in the well, the action sit in it and the thing become's a pad for the action., The stock both plastic and wood are like I have never seen before. The barrel doesn't touch anywhere! In fact a lot of material is removed so there is no way the barrel can bounce off of anything but, you can't tell it from the outside! The wood stock cost about $100 + more but I would not hesitate to buy another one. I'll see if I can get a couple photo's in here. One of these shooting sites give's me the vapors trying to post photo's.

The grid on the target's is 3/4", just came out that way when I copied them in town. I make my own target's. Well can't upload photo's. This must be the site!

Lohman446

Thank you - I will look into the Patriot a bit more. Honestly I saw the Mossberg name and kind of skipped over it. It is right in the price game.

RC20

For just avae shooing it makes o differnet.

I don't think the Axis XP comes with the Savage Acu trigger.

Axis II XP does

If you want a target with a good trigger out of the box, get one of the Varmien barel Savage.

If its going to be shot a bit here and there then the intiail fit counts .

Long term, you want to put a good barrel on it, then the Savage is by far the easiest, has a good action.

If its a pencil barrel, I don't find Savage to be anything special.

If its a heavy hunter barrel or a Varmint class barrel, then yes they are good.

Dranrab

If that Ruger has a 20 inch barrel, it is likely an ultralight. They are wonderful hunting rifles, but aren't normally very accurate. You can get a Savage 110 series rifle with a decent scope for under $500. I'd go that route before I went with the Axis.

Hilltop Shooter

I love Savage rifles but im not very fond of the Axis line. Imho, the Ruger American blows them away for entry level rifles. The Ruger American Predator would be what i recommend for an entry level priced rifle (under $400)

For just a little more $ you might check out the Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard series 2, CZ 557, or Savage 10. I haven't tired one myself but folks always talk up the Tikka T3 too. Thats alot of rifles but you didnt act set on one and when im in those shoes i like a broad field to narrow down. All of the guns i listed are known to be shooters and hold up very well too. Hard to go wrong with any one of them. JMO, good luck

Mobuck

Savage AXIS= ugly piece of work-probably accurate
Ruger "anything" = visually appealing-maybe not a tack driver but good enough for hunting
HOWA= nice lines and most often surprising accurate

If you like the M-77, I'd go that way accepting the fact that it's not a 400 yard prairie dogger. If it is an ultra-lite even the 243 may have somewhat obnoxious and distracting recoil for kid's use.

Lohman446

I have looked around some more - thinking about the Ruger All-American in either the standard or weather-shield version as a possibility in that list. I hear the concerns on accuracy from others but it seems the All-American might not have that concern

Hilltop Shooter

Ruger Americans are known to be shooters. Some of the older m77 have a rep for not shooting so good, some shot great. The American has a fine rep for being good shooters. I bet you would be happy with one and not break the bank getting it.

RC20

I see the claims for the RA being accurate but have yet to see someone ring one out with constant 5 shot groups.

The Axis XP will have by far the better trigger, and its adjustable from a hunting weight of 6 pounds down to more target of 2.5 (with a spring change which can go as low as 1.5 lbs)

Also easy to adjust with one hex (you do have to remove it from the stock which is no big deal)

While my Target guns are Savage with aftermarket barrels, I am still using the Varmint type acu trigger (hunting one can be changed to Varmint with an $8 spring)

T. O'Heir

The Axis is an entry level hunting rifle. Ok, but no adjustable factory trigger. Timney can fix that.
The Ruger isn't an entry level hunting rifle. Factory trigger is adjustable.
Look into a Savage package rifle vs an Axis. Comes with a decent scope these days.
"...not tied to the .243..." Easiest to feed anywhere, but any .24 to .27 calibre will do nicely.

Mobuck

AXIS and American are price point rifles. Unless you're on a restricted budget, price point rifles should be considered AFTER the "A string" options have been pursued.

Lohman446

While I get your point what is an "A string" rifle going to do that a price point MOA rifle does not? I am not a sub MOA shooter

eastbank

in the real hunting world sub-2" five shot groups at 100 yards will be a real deer killer for 90 percent of your deer hunting. now if you hunt field mice . eastbank.

Mobuck

"While I get your point what is an "A string" rifle going to do that a price point MOA rifle does not? I am not a sub MOA shooter"

A couple of things (for me anyway) are "looks" and retained value. If you're the kind of guy who couldn't care less about aesthetics and considers a rifle a throw away expenditure, then a price point rifle is a good choice.
Don't write me off as a classic rifle snob or something like that. I shoot Savage 10-110 platform rifles often. In fact my primary deer rifle is a 110 in 25/06. The AXIS is the ugly sister to even a 110 and I won't allow one to roost here.
The HOWA has nice lines and in my experience, is very accurate--what's not to like about that.

My advice:
"Shoulder them all and pick the one that fits you best."
A rifle is a rifle where they differ is in stock to shoulder fit and fast pick-up of line of sight down the barrel. Brand name means little. What matters is your ability to swing and shoot fast with spot on accuracy. And that is only accomplished >with a comfortable fitting firearm.

Lohman446

I stumbled into a clearance at a big box store. Picked up a TC Venture and a Redfield scope for under $500 after coupons Both products feature made in America statements and lifetime warranties.