ruger m77 (mk1) bolt replacement?

scouter27

if i need a new bolt for my 30-06 mk1 can i replace it with one from a mk2?

i dont need a new bolt, but if i can do it i would prefer the controlled feed.

also, would the xs sights peep sight work on the mk1? it mounts on the rear scope mount, and also needs drilled and tapped i believe

thanks

Last edited:

Slopemeno

Usually controlled-round feeding means a fixed ejector, ala 98 mauser. The first-generation Ruger-77's have a plunger style ejector, so a conversion, while I suppose not impossible, is probably expensive.

Never had a feeding problem with my circa '81 Ruger 77. Not the most accurate bolt rifle out there, but DEAD reliable.

scouter27

so youre saying it would not drop in? as in, you know it wouldnt, or you think it wouldng

what about rings, are they interchangeable?

Last edited:

Slopemeno

Rings should be a a "No-Problem".

I'm 99.99% certain it's not a drop in switch. Controlled round -vs- push feed are different. "Push feed", as the name suggests, pushes the live round ahead of the bolt, extractor, and ejector until the bolt handle turns down, at which time the extractor snaps over the rim. After firing, you rotate and withdraw the bolt- a little springloaded ejector in the breechface flips the empty out as soon as the case is clear of the ejection port.

If you look at a '77 push-feed bolt, there is usually a step all the way around the breechface. In a controlled round action, there is usually no step at the bottom, to allow the round to slide up under the extractor.

On a "controlled round feed", the round is caught and slides up under the extractor as soon as it snaps free of the feed lips. You push the bolt forward, and fire the round. After firing, you turn and withdraw the bolt, and a fixed ejector in the left raceway flips the empty case out from under the extractor as the bolt moves past it on its way to the rear. These will sometimes be a slit in or near the locking lug for the ejector to move in the bolt as it passes.

Here's the question I used to answer questions like yours with: "What are you trying to do?" Are you set on converting your 1st gen 77 to push feed? Have a 1st gen 77 that's missing a bolt? Give us some context.

I won't even go into the safety on the shroud -vs- the tang.

scouter27

i dont have a mk2 to look at to compair,but the bolt on my mk1 is very similar to my fathers pre64 winchester. it has the claw extractor, so i wasnt sure. thank you for your help though

Slopemeno

A claw extractor can still be a push-feed, which is exactly what the 1st gen 77 is. The pre-64 Model 70 is a controlled round feed.