Ruger LCR-A Durable,Proven CCW Now?

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Since the release of the LCR series,I've had many LGS tell me the LCR has put new life into the CCW market,female shooters in particular.Is the LCR a serious alternative to the venerable j-frame? What say TFL and thanks as always.

ScaryWoody

I purchased a .38 LCR a few months ago. I have a S&W Air weight 438 as well. The Ruger is slightly lighter. They are comparable in size. The S&W has a bit better build quality, IMHO. The Ruger does have a trigger bar rattle when shaken. I have been carrying it for several weeks. Honestly, don't even know it's there. Because of its size and weight shooting +P is a bit sporty. A box of 50 and the had starts to hurt. Group size is adequate and should improve once I'm more used to the trigger. Out of the box the Ruger LCR really doesn't need many improvements to be made. My S&W got a new spring kit straight away. The Ruger trigger is really smooth and crisp. Overall, I'm happy with the revolver. When I need a light weight platform I carry the LCR. When I go downtown, it's clearly a Glock day.

rob-c

Wife and I both have 38+p's and we have easily shot 2000+ rounds between us both and we love them. I pocket carry mine all over .

Hunter Customs

I have a friend that purchased a 38 LCR ,he loves it.
My oldest Grandson just traded for a 38 S&W Airweight, I tried shooting it.
I found the grip way to small for any serious practice, a cylinder full of standard velocity 38 specials and I was ready to put it down.
I'll stick with something that has a grip that fits my hand.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

rob-c

I swapped to the lcr-x grip on mine and the wife's , I still have no problem pocket carrying with the slightly larger grips, but much more enjoyable to shoot .

Cheapshooter

Rob-c, I went the opposite way with my LCR. I replaced the standard Hogue Tamer grip with the even smaller Hogue Bantam Boot grip.
I was surprised how little it effected my shooting with the minimal grip, and it makes my LCR lighter, and even more concealable. Especially in it's most often used role as a Winter coat pocket gun.

98 220 swift

I had one for a while in 38 special. Really liked it accurate enough for its purpose. great trigger pull and light weight with a nice grip. But I had trouble with the trigger reset. If I shot it fast I would not let the trigger go all the way forward and it would revolve the cly without firing it. I do not have this problem with a S&W and it may just be me. This is the only ruger DA revolver I have ever shot. I really liked the gun but balked at ccw it because of the trigger problems I had. I don't think it was broken just the way it was made and since I was used to the S&W trigger action I could not break the "bad" habit with it. So I sold it. When and if they make a LCRx in 22lr I will be buying it.

Dan-O

Yes. I bought the .327 version right before xmas. Once they become available again I'll be buying another. And yes, once the .22 lr lcrx in 3" comes out I will be buying a few of those as well.

lee n. field

Since the release of the LCR series,I've had many LGS tell me the LCR has put new life into the CCW market,female shooters in particular

I didn't think there was ever any question.

.Is the LCR a serious alternative to the venerable j-frame? What say TFL and thanks as always.

yes.

abowlieb

I didnt like shooting the lcr I had. I didnt shoot it well at all. I coukdnt seem to get a good grip on the gun. It was a joy to carry tho. Just slide it in a pocket amd you will forget you had it. It os light and small and can be carried in the lightest summer shorts. It was awesome in that stand point. But I will keep my sp101. Juat fits and feels better to me bit just because I couldnt get myself to shoot the LCR well, I still think it is a great ccw and does that job well.

FrankenMauser

I traded a low mileage, but shaking-itself-apart, .38 +P J-frame (642 Ladysmith) for a .327 Federal LCR.

No regrets.

It has been my daily carry since last August or September.
I recently picked up an LCP that will be taking the LCR's place inside my waste band on occasion, but the LCR is still the primary. The LCP is mostly an excuse to not get rid of all my .380 Auto ammunition and reloading components (had a .380; sold it; needed another ;)).

smee78

At a LGS I sometimes fill in at the LCR has been a great sell with women and older customers due to its trigger pull. When comparing them side by side with a Smith J frame they almost always pick the Ruger. I myself have a few Smiths but am looking at adding a 327 Ruger once I get my hands on one. I wish Smith would put out the little 6 shot 32's again. But I will get new holsters and loaders for the Ruger to work the 327 into the rotation.

FrankenMauser

I wish Smith would put out the little 6 shot 32's again.
You're not the only one.
There are quite a few people that want S&W to bring back something in .327 Federal.

Myself?
...I'd rather see a .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R I-frame. ;)

dgludwig

Imo, there is one major advantage the LCR has over any of the many Smith J-frames I've owned and have: a markedly superior double-action trigger pull. But it doesn't make the LCR's ugly face any prettier. :)

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Proven LCR's

Thanks all for your great replies,When I bought mine,it was a Lightweight alternative to my Glocks at times and the 38+p does this for me.Looks?:eek: Maybe a "wheelgunners) Glock? I kinda like it! Skeets