Ruger LCP Problem

Republicrat

Well, I don't know how much of a "problem" this is but it is strange.

I just purchased a Ruger LCP (post recall) and it's a fun little gun.

Every time I insert a magazine with even light force the slide releases if the action is locked open.

It does require moderate force to insert the magazine and even good tap on the magazine bottom will insert the magazine and promptly the slide slams shut sometimes resulting in a misfeed if the slide comes free before the mag is fully inserted.

Of course I can insert the mag with the action closed and then chamber a round by racking it...but still, the above shouldn't happen.

Any thoughts on why this happens?

Kreyzhorse

I know post recall LCPs have an upgraded metal mag catch and some people have reported that mags are harder to insert now.

As far as the slide cycling when a mag is inserted, that's a new one to me. I'd check out the LCP forum and see if any one has had similiar issues with theirs.

http://www.elsiepeaforum.com/

In the very least, it might be worth a call to Ruger. I found their CS reps to be pretty helpful during my LCP recall fiasco.

Ben

My Bersa does it. If I push the mag in gently, it won't release the slide. If I slam it home, it does. Not a big deal unless it's causing problems. It's just chambering a round for you and saving you a step.

Ben

Interesting.
I had to get my post recall out and try. It didn't do it.
So, I inserted the mag with the action open, then smacked the bottom of the grip on my other palm. It closed the slide and chambered a round.
Interesting. :D

Republicrat

Thanks for the input.

Mine is definitely the newer version, blued barrel with the metal mag catch.

Would not be a huge deal although a couple times the slide was headed home before the mag was seated and it resulted in a failure to feed the first round properly.

Other than that it shot perfectly, no other complaints.

seaville

lcp

I never had done that before. I tried mine and it didn't close on it's own.
Mine has gone through the retro-fit process. It has never malfunctioned before or after the trip to Prescott. I like it even more since it's return.
The new slide hold-back-button is larger than before.

Republicrat

Read over the Ruger boards and it definitely seems I'm not the only one having the issue. Some people report that it didn't happen until a few hundred rounds through the gun.

My gun is brand new, no signs of wear on the mag catch. I supposed I will maybe email Ruger and see what they say about the slide lock.