Ruger KP345

xrageofangelsx

While I have not purchased a gun yet, I am just a few steps closer to becoming a gun owner.

While pesting the local gun shop, I was recommended (by the local gun store owner) that the new Ruger P345 might be what I'm looking for.

I still have not fired the guns i am mostly interested in, and I am going off of how the gun feels in my hand, others opinions on guns, and advice from forums and people I met.

I figured I would exhaust the internet for more opinions regarding the Ruger. I can get it for about 440 bucks new, but I asked if I could get a discount if I paid in cash, and he said yes. So, it would actually be less than 440 bucks.

It comes with two magazines, a case, and what not.

Though I am still eyeballing the Springfield XD Ported V-10, if this is a good deal, I'd like to take advantage of it.

Again, thanks for everyones help, responses, and two cents.

MikeJ

Welcome to the wonderful world of firearms. I find the new Ruger 345 to be a very interesting pistol and one of them may very well find its way into my stable. I personally don't like porting on handguns as I see it to be a liability in a defensive sidearm and just plain don't like the idea of flame and gases coming from the top of the barrel, but to each their own. I would really give that ported V-10 some very serious consideration in that regard before purchasing it. You might want to start a thread asking for other shooters opinions as to how they feel about porting, I know I'm not alone. I do hope that whatever you get you really enjoy and that it serves you well. Best of luck, Mike

mbott

I already have Ruger's P95 and P97, so getting a P345PR seemed like a natural next step. You will not be disapointed if this is how you go. I've put a little over 1k through it, (ball, reloads, JHPs and SilverTips) and it has functioned flawlessly. Trigger is better than my P97 and it uses the same mags. Grip feels thinner than a 1911.

Added the Streamlight M6 that used to be on my CZ 75 P-01 and the Ruger has now taken over nightstand duty. The P-01 will remain one of my carry handguns.

--
Mike

Boats

The P345 will have "arrived" when someone makes night sights for it. :D All in all it seems like a positive development for Ruger. I just wish they would announce a P340, 310, and 309 and end the silly charade that the 345 is stand alone. No company would put in such developmental costs for just one model.

railroader

Another couple of things about the ported xd is they are quite a bit louder than the standard XD. Also the front white dot blackens rather quickly from shooting the gun. I have a non ported 9mm and it is a fine gun. I woul;d just pass on the ports. Mark