Ruger Hawkeye accuracy expectations

jmr40

In my experience 3 rounds into roughly 1" with good ammo is to be expected. Some will do a little better, some a little worse. They aren't known as tack drivers, if your goal is to build a .5 MOA rifle you'll probably have better luck with other brands. But they are hunting rifles and more than adequate.

The Hawkeys have an improved trigger over the older 77 MK-II's and usually do a bit better.

603Country

I bought one in 223 a few years ago. Stainless with synthetic stock. I had some scope issues, but when I got that fixed it shot real good. Groups at 100 were sometimes 1/2 inch or less with several powder and bullet combos, and always less than an inch. So, overall, the accuracy was real good, but I wasn't satisfied with that. The unexplained flyers irritated me. Decided to rebarrel it and get the action squared up. Probably I didn't need the new barrel, but per the gunsmith the action did need squaring up.

So, for hunting and plinking and non-OCD target shooting it was fine right out of the box. I just got caught up in need for super duper accuracy. All that money spent and at least I got rid of the flyers. Still got the synthetic stock, which is now bedded.

I really like the rifle, but if I had it to do all over again I'd probably get a stainless Tikka T3 with a 20 inch barrel. Lighter and probably better out of the box accuracy.

FrankenMauser

Accuracy should be acceptable for a 'hunting rifle', or better.

What about caliber intrinsic accuracy?
It's a production rifle.
A roll of the dice and/or the luck of the draw (the barrel you get) will be far more important than the actual chambering.

oldscot3

I recently bought a 77 Hawkeye FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a little different than a standard Hawkeye sporter because it has a heavier than normal barrel profile but it's by no means a varmint weight. I've shot maybe 100 rounds breaking it in and developing loads and I have about a half dozen targets with five shot groups running 4/10s to 6/10s of an inch at 100 yards.

I paid less than $1000 for both Rifles 2 years ago..

I have two Ruger Hawkeye rifles a .280Rem & 30/06, of the two the .280 will produce slightly smaller groups with the 30/06 not far behind. I would have no trouble taking game out to 250 yds but most shots here in Arkansas usually are 100yds or less. I like the looks and feel of both rifles and would purchase them again, triggers are better than I expected, they won't turn any heads but are good solid rifles with claw extractors.. Both rifles have a VX II 3 X 9 40mm Duplex reticle, both of the rifles will group an inch or under if I do my part, I can't expect much more than that at my age.. William

Last edited:

NHSHOOTER

I own 2 rugers, 1 Hawkeye in 7-08 and a MKII stainless in 243, the Hawkeye is a bit fussy at to what I feed it, it prefers 140gr boattails or 139gr SST's , the 243 will eat and shoot just about anything but I found it really likes 85gr Sierra boattails under .5 at 100 yds if I do my part.

SCgman

One should check the mag well for binding against the action once the action screws are tightened. The mag well needs to rattle a tad with a loose fit or it could be putting stress on the action. This can be relieved by trimming the bottom of the mag well front and rear recessed edges. I did this for my Hawkeye and it went from grouping inconsistently to MOA or better.

kcub

I recently bought a 77 Hawkeye FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a little different than a standard Hawkeye sporter because it has a heavier than normal barrel profile but it's by no means a varmint weight. I've shot maybe 100 rounds breaking it in and developing loads and I have about a half dozen targets with five shot groups running 4/10s to 6/10s of an inch at 100 yards.

I wish they made 6.5 Creedmoor in left hand in any guise. I'd be all over it like a bum on a baloney sammich.