Ruger GP100 Service Experience

O/U Mike

I purchased my first handgun, a GP100 4" .357 last September. I really like this gun, but I was having intermittent cylinder binding problems with it over the course of its first 500+ rounds. I sent it in to Ruger for service and a new trigger, because the original had some "pit" marks on the left side from when the metal was cast.

I got it back from Ruger last week. They replaced the trigger, hammer, and pawl, adjusted the cylinder barrel gap, checked the cylinder crane alignment, replaced my newly installed custom springs (argh!) with factory spec, and made a few other checks and adjustments, then test fired it.

Once back in my hands, in dry firing it, it did seem a bit smoother. Took it to the range last Thursday to check it out. Well, I guessed they might have sighted it in as well! This gun never grouped this well with me behind the wheel.

I am very pleased with the way Ruger addressed my problems, but wonder about how well-tuned it was when it came off the assembly line.

WESHOOT2

Ruger service = actual 'service'

Bent my 44 Redhawk (oops).
Sent it in.
Came back quick.
Fixed.
Better than before.
No affect on the stuff that was already good.

gdeal

Kgp-141

Mine was fine out of the box except it was shooting too low. I adjusted the rear sight a quarter turn to the left and now it is on target.

Ichiro

My GP-100 was shooting high, so I adjusted the rear sight. Still shooting high, I adjusted it some more. STILL shot high, so I adjusted it as far as it would go. NO HOLES in the target!!!!!!!

Couldn't figure it out, until........ I started turning the screw the other way :confused:

Now mine shoots fine as well :eek:

I also had a cylinder-binding problem after re-assembly. I took it apart, cleaned it well, put it back together, dry-fired like crazy. Still no improvement. Then I took it to the range and fired a box of magnums through it, and it healed itself.

~Ichiro

DWARREN123

In most if not all cases if you send a firearm back to the factory to have warranty work done they will replace all parts that are not OEM for liability reasons.

I have found Rugers are well made but heavy. KGP-161 & 141

dallasconundrum

A Tale Of Two GP-100s

Hey guys, glad to see that you all are having good experiences with your Rugers. Now, let me relate my story. Let me start by saying that I am a Ruger fan. I have six of their single actions and one of their rifles. However, I have never had any of their double actions until fairly recently.

First, I got a fixed sights .357 with the shorter grip. I had never had a chance to take this gun to the range, but I had dry fired it with snap caps a few times. By a few I would say ball park 50 times or so. The night before my second GP-100 was supposed to come in (an adjustable sight one) I thought I would get my first one out and dry fire it some in anticipation to the new one coming in. Well, as I was doing this I noticed that something wasn't right. And upon further inspection I found out that the cylinder was free wheeling. So, I swung it out and swung it back in, and it locked up. However, after about 3 pulls of the trigger it wouldn't lock up and I would have to rotate the cylinder slightly to get it to lock up. So, I took it to the local gun store that has a pretty good smith. He worked on it and fixed it by adjusting the cylinder stop and spring. So, no real big deal, but it was kind of suprising for such a new gun. He remarked the same thing.

Ok, so that brings me to the second GP-100, the adjustable sighted one. I took it out this past week and upon firing it, noticed it was hitting all over the place. I thought, ok maybe I'm having a bad day. So I got out my S&W 620 and dropped the same loads from the same box in it and BAM, hit the bottle on the first try. So, I then set up some paper bullseye targets at about 25 yards to see what was going on and if I could adjust out the problem. About four of the shots would hit up and to the left by about 4 inches, and the last two would hit low and to the right. I made some adjustments, but first brought out the Smith again to make sure it wasn't me. Again, it wasn't. So, I did some more shooting with the Ruger and now, the first four (or well four of them not necessarily the FIRST four) were pretty close to bullseye but then, two of them were still low and right.

This week, I am going to take it back out and see if I can do any better with the adjusting. If not, I am going to take it back to the smith that fixed the other one and see if he can adjust the sights or figure out what is going on.

Again though, I am certainly not bashing Ruger or the GP-100. I think I've just had bad luck. But, the first gun is fine now, and hopefully this second one will either work itself out or will be fixed easily enough.