Ruger GP100 Match Champion vs....

Fivesense

Is the GP100 Match Champion as robust (build quality) as the GP100?

My LGS has both in stock and I'm jonesing for a versatile revolver for HD and for range target shooting (both in .38 and .357). Can the Match Champion handle the same heavy .357 as the GP100?

Radny97

Yes to all your questions. It's just as robust but with added goodies like a target crown, chamfered charge holes and a polished and lightened trigger.

Fivesense

Yes to all your questions. It's just as robust but with added goodies like a target crown, chamfered charge holes and a polished and lightened trigger.

So the Match Champion is a slightly more refined, better shooting, equally capable .357 as the GP100? No "regular .357 revolver guy" would kick sand in my face at the range? :p

I've read about the "drawbacks" (DA trigger, etc...) on the GP100, which really only means "utilitarian" to me anyway. But I'm just as pleased to have a smoother shooting .357 that doubles for HD and range/target shooting.

Radny97

The match champion is a nicer and more refined gp100 with a better trigger. Anyone looking down their noses at it are either brand snobs (i.e. "i dont like Ruger revolvers") or don't know what they are talking about.

Fivesense

Thus, now the real question comes out. I can buy the GP100 Match Champion for roughly the same price (~ $100) as the Redhawk .44 Mag. Ultimately I want the protection factor of the .44, yet I know 90% of what I'll use this revolver for is range/target...

Fivesense

44 ammo is a lot more money unless you reload.

This is definitely a factor, but I plan to reload with my father-in-law, and we have the .44 casts.

The reality is that I should have both. I'm just trying to pretend I'm only going with one of the two.

saleen322

The match champion seems to be a fine revolver. The only issue I ever had with it was the fixed sights but Ruger soon offered adjustable sights so that problem was solved.

The caliber issue is a different one. I have numerous handguns and the 357 mag offers flexibility and lower cost to shoot. When you get reloading, those costs go down a great deal.

darkgael

Ruger

I do like Rugers. I won a number of them. In the market for a .38/.357 revolver for match shooting, I found it interesting (to say the least) that the Match Champion lists at $969.00 while S&W's six inch Model 686 lists for $829.00.
That is a substantial difference.

Real Gun

The Match Champion puts you a little closer to a Smith & Wesson, including price. I wasn't interested until they came out with the adjustable sight version, but I like my Match Champion in many ways. Of course, it had to immediately go back for a new cylinder, which seems to be a nagging issue for Ruger, certainly for me and all but one of my Ruger revolvers bought new.

Real Gun

darkgael - <snip>I found it interesting (to say the least) that the Match Champion lists at $969.00 while S&W's six inch Model 686 lists for $829.00.
That is a substantial difference.

The wooden grips on the Ruger would account for some of that. Smith people talk all the time about replacing rubber grips. Other than that, the 686 is a pretty plain gun. I have spent a lot on mine removing the ILS, an action job, recutting the forcing cone, and reaming throats. The MC, on the other hand, so far is untouched.

Sequins

MSRP is quite high on these Match Champions it seems, but for $700 or so it's a sharp deal. I like mine a lot and I own both a 6" GP100 and the 4.2" Match Champion. I can feel the difference in out of the box trigger pull and I enjoy the nice grips and the nice fiber optic sight. If I were to buy a new sight and grip set for my 'regular' GP100 it would erase a lot of the price gap, but I still wouldn't have the action job.

I'd say that if you're happy with the 4.2" barrel there is no reason not to get the Match Champion.

Fivesense

If I go with the Match Champion, I know I'd be very happy with it. The 4.2" is sufficient for the type of shooting I'd use it for- range/target and HD. It just seems like a nice, refined .357. The only question is whether or not I bring home a .44 Mag first.

darkgael

$

Both the prices that I quoted for the Match Champion and the 686 are MSRP.
Bud's Gun Shop has the 686 six inch at $661-$665.
The Ruger is at $665.
I was surprised to see the Ruger at the same price as the S&W when, historically, they have always been less costly.
Pete

Last edited:

Real Gun

Fivesense - Thus, now the real question comes out. I can buy the GP100 Match Champion for roughly the same price (~ $100) as the Redhawk .44 Mag. Ultimately I want the protection factor of the .44, yet I know 90% of what I'll use this revolver for is range/target...

My Redhawk is massive compared to my Match Champion and would not be a candidate for strong side carry.

Already owning 44 dies should not be that compelling, since an adequate die set is not typically any big investment.

Hammerhead

Saw one today for $750. Looked very nice, feels lighter than the regular GP. Sights are nice, the wood grip feels OK, but the old rubber w/panels grip is hard to beat.
It looked very well made. Very smooth bore & chambers, perfect crown. Very tempting.

I wonder if the front sight has a standard 3/8" dovetail?