Ruger GP100 Match Champion (Model 1754)

wild cat mccane

I have none.

However, the 1771 and 1773 might change the entire GP100 line up for 7rnd cylinder. If you aren't running it for the 6rnd cylinder, I know the 686 Plus with a 7rnd cylinder always has a higher retail and resale cost.

mikejonestkd

I have a good friend that bought one a few years ago. I have put a few hundred rounds through it since she got it. It is a very well made revolver and it does everything we have asked of it.
My only very minor complaint is that the trigger is not as nice and smooth as a smith K or L frame revolver.

Montana Jon

I just wrapped up a trade for my 6" 1/2 lug GP100... and the Match Champion arrived today at my FFL. I couldn't be happier with the trade.

Match-Champion-2-1.jpg

SR420

And now for something completely different - sort of

The Match Champion I was looking at got away, but I stumbled upon this one yesterday and a trade is in the works.

I have never owned a snub nose revolver... Ruger SP101 2.25" - .357Mag

Extras include a set of White Pearl Eagle Grip inserts (factory black included) and four HKS36 Speed Loaders.

hammie

@SR420: I have the same revolver, except that mine is the blued steel version. It is a great "kit" gun, nightstand/desk drawer gun, or just packing about in the woods. It's a bit heavy for all day concealed carry, but the weight does help to tame the recoil.

The trigger is not nearly as good as a K frame smith or colt king cobra, but there a few things you can do to slightly improve the trigger pull. The factory centerfire hammer spring weight is 14 pounds. I've put in a 12 pound hammer spring with no loss of reliability. At a 10 pound hammer spring weight, I would start to worry a little about light strikes. The factory trigger return spring is 10 pounds, which can be reduced to 8 pounds. You can also de-burr and polish some internal trigger parts, which will smooth out the action. There are several good you tube videos, detailing how to do this. It's easy enough to do, but I would not attempt without watching a good video.

I added a hogue pau ferro grip to my 101, which made the profile larger, but it allows for three fingers on the grip, and is more comfortable and controllable to shoot.

Last edited:

JustJake

For Pros-da-know, the 10mm model is actually the more versatile of the breed.

It can shoot .40S&W, 10mm AUTO, and if you have the cylinders reamed to spec, the 10mm Magnum. Makes it a 3-n-1 gun.

Starting in the mid-'90s, several master wheel-gun 'smiths, like Hamilton Bowen, established a small cottage industry doing 10mm Magnum 'conversions' on the S&W 610s.

Even better, the .40, 10mm, and 10mm Mag cartridges will load and fire off the same moon clips. Quick to load, quick to empty.

Ruger45LC

I like the Match Champion but to be fair, I really like the Gp100 in general. Having had several MC's, I personally would rather go with a standard GP100. All a GP100 needs is a $10 spring kit from Wolff and you've got an awesome trigger and I don't like half lug models as well as full lug. The grips on the MC feel okay in terms of contour but being wood they do nothing at all for recoil, which isn't huge but wood doesn't absorb any of it. Plus the lack of adjustable rears and not being able to quickly change the front out is a negative as well, another reason I prefer the standard GP100.

Master Blaster

Match Champion should have adjustible sights it does not.
The triggers on gp 100s suck, and the match champion is no different. And changing the springs for a lighter trigger pull will get you reliable misfires.

Jcon72

I totally agree on the trigger subject. Some time ago I saw a 10mm Match Champion in a LGS and figured, "Hmmm, 'Match Champion?'..... it must have a pretty nice trigger.
Then I tried the trigger and asked myself what qualified the gun to be a "Match Champion". The trigger on my Security Six is 100x better.

Don P

Ruger was offering the match champion with and without adjustable rear sights

And changing the springs for a lighter trigger pull will get you reliable misfires.

If you are going to play with springs Federal is the way to go with reloading. 10 lb trigger spring and a 12 lb hammer spring will prove to be reliable

jetinteriorguy

The triggers on gp 100s suck, and the match champion is no different. And changing the springs for a lighter trigger pull will get you reliable misfires.
When I first got my GP100 the trigger pull was the hardest pulling trigger of any revolver I’ve ever had, but it was smooth with a nice crisp let off so I figured it could be improved. I did some research on trigger work, contacted Trigger Shims.com and they gave me some excellent guidance on what to do. With about an hours time disassembling, polishing, and measuring for the correct shims to use and adding in the recommended springs, all from TriggerShims.com, I now have the best DA revolver I’ve ever had. It’s better than all but one of my Smith’s in DA, and only slightly less than my best Smith’s in SA. The only issue I have is the occasional false reset in DA, which only catches me after I’ve been shooting a lot of my 9mm pistols with their short resets. The nice thing about the GP100 is the modular FCG and how easy it is to work on. I’ve never had a single light primer strike, even with the lighter springs and using CCI primers. The key to reliability is the polishing and shims, due to the smoothness of the action the reliability is there, at least IME after shooting a few thousand rounds since doing the work. And I almost exclusively shoot DA, I’d say at least 90%+.

Don P

For all who continue to state adjustable sight. From Rugers web site. Model 01754 has a fixed rear sight and model 01755 has a adjustable rear site.

Montana Jon

Of the comments here, how many have actually shot it? I find most that do comment have no trigger time with it, and for me, it flat out works with the fixed Novak rear sight (Model 1754). These targets were shot at 7 yards, which is pretty standard for self defense.

Hornady-125-gr-XTP.jpg

167-gr-SWC-Keith-Style.jpg

Last edited:

Don P

I have 2 gp-100's . One is a match champion the other the standard gp-100. Both guns have the cylinders machined for moon clips. Both are 4" barrels and I shoot both in Icore competition. Both have the lightest trigger pull I could obtain and I shoot reloads using federal primers. Both are reliable and a joy to shoot in competition

Montana Jon

Don P awesome, I wish I was physically fit wise to shoot ICORE, I'm sure it would be fun to shoot. Medical problems prevent me from being the fastest guy on my feet any longer :eek:

Mr.RevolverGuy

Jon,

Go out and set goals for yourself and compete against those goals and not against those that may be out there with you. Still a ton of fun.

Wish you the best sir.

Don P

What Mr revolver guy said. Loads of fun, camaraderie involved. I'm no spring chicken myself pushing 70 and if I move any slower the undertaker will haul me off, BUT I still shoot USPSA and ICORE. I'll give up shooting when the arthritis gets so bad I can't hold a gun safely or I'm dead.
On both my GP100 I have trigger pull double action down to a touch over 7 lb so I say that's rather good for a Ruger

Last edited: