Ruger GP100 6" vs Taurus 608 8 3/8"

sterno

I've got it down to these two revolvers. The Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel or the Taurus 608 with the 8 3/8" barrel. In my neck of the woods, these guns are within $10 of each other new. I'm looking for a pure target revolver, never to be carried (that's whan my Makarov is for). I want a long barrel because I usually skip the pistol range and shoot on the 100 yard rifle range.

What would you get and why?

Montana250

I would imagine 95% of the opinions on here will be something to the effect of, "Ummm, take the Ruger all day long and twice on Sundays. Especially with a $10 difference."

skeeter1

Either one would be an excellent choice. With the 6" Ruger, you might be looking at a scope for 100 yards. With the 8-3/4" Taurus, I think the iron sights (my preference) will work just fine. Whichever one you decide to go with, I can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

sterno

Do you think I'll have any more trouble hitting a 100 yard gong with a 6" barrel that with a 8 3/8" one?

BobG

I have a GP100 with 6" underlug barrel, one of the first sold, and it will shoot just as accurate as the user is capable of shooting. I like Rugers because they can handle just about anything you put through them.