DA/SA
6"+ barrel

Narrowed to:

Ruger GP100 Model #1707

1707.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html

S&W 686P

164198_01_lg.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I have a Llama 357 already, but it's not shiney.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465497

Can I go wrong with the Ruger?
Is the Smith worth the $200 difference?

kst8fan

My vote goes to the Ruger. I have this very gun and I absolutely love it. The more I shoot it the better the action gets. These guns are built like tanks. I personally wouldn't pay the extra $$$ for a smith. Every one of my buddies that shoot this gun want to buy it from me. Trust me you won't be sorry with the GP100.

18DAI

Another vote for the Ruger GP100. Everything you need in a revolver and nothing you don't, unlike the S&W. ;)

Ruger is more reasonably priced as well. Good luck with your decision! Regards 18DAI

Viper225

I would also vote for the Ruger.

Weigland Combat No Drill Scope Base $50. Makes a good platform to mount a 30mm UltraDot on.
Quick Change Front Sights.
The Hogue "Tamer" Grips for the Super RedHawk will fit it. It should really tame down the 180 grain hunting loads.
Easy take down for cleaning.
Easy to change the springs on.
Tough as a Tank
Whats not to love.

Bob

DavidAGO

I have both the gp 100 and the 686. Both were purchased used. the smith was great from the beginning, great action, accurate. the Ruger not so much. After a trip back to Ruger for some no-cost repair the Ruger is a great shooting pistol. The smith is still a smoother action, especially double action, but I enjoy shooting them both. You would not go wrong with either one.

David

bronicadave

I'd recommend the S&W. I have the 6 shot 686 in both 4 and 6 inch barrels. The Ruger went on a trade in a few years ago. The S&W just suited me better. The Ruger was fine but just never seemed like the precision instrument like the Smith. Either way a 6 inch .357 is a great gun to have.

huntinaz

I really like them both. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. My GP100 is a 4", and I have both a 4" and a 6" 686P. I like them all. The balance on the 6" 686 is...perfect. I'm not sure I've handled a 6" GP100. That 7th shot is sweet too, though I'm sure how practical it really is.

RsqVet

I own both. In a 6 inch tube I am guessing this is not a CCW gun so the argument for the 7th shot becomes a bit thin.

My GP that is 8-9 years old came with a decent trigger that I have improved to the point of being every bit the equal of my 686. My newer GP has an even better trigger from the factory that I am sure will smooth out a little, though it is quite good, frankly newer smith triggers are not that good and I would put my new GP on a par with the new 686's I have felt.

My 686 is a pre-lock, pre-MIM gun and it has a great trigger, with basically no tune up needed. This is NOT the trigger I have felt on any post mim, post lock Smith guns. If I had to buy another smith it would be a pre-lock, pre-mim gun. Still many good 686's out there and purchased right you will not lose money as they don't make them anymore.

Any new gun (Smith or ruger) you get you may want to get a trigger job on.

For me the Smith is a no go new due to the lock. Your feelings may vary. The 7th shot is not needed for most folks, not bad to have but in my 357's I frequently use them as trail guns with hot ammo so I would rather the extra metal in the cylinder than the extra shot.

excelerater

686 all the way,most ruger owners dont own smiths because of
price or whatever but I own both and while both are good shooters
rugers IMO are a commoddity gun - if I were shopping a 686 if buy an older
pre lock model personally,I own the plus and prelocks and IMO the older
one is better and was cheaper since I got it used for 500

Noreaster

I opted for the 686 and then ended up buying a Ruger. The 686 is a great firearm and very refined. The one I bought had a wide cylinder gap and wouldn't group as well as I wanted. I bought the GP100 6 inch SS used for half the price of the 686. I've been very happy with the Ruger.

Gman56

I vote Ruger first then get 686!Yes out of the box smith is smoother.The GP needs to break in first then trigger will be smoother.Not as smooth as a smith will be as accurate though.You can shoot 357 mag loads all the time out of a GP the 686 its not recomended.If you compare the stainless finish GP 100 wins!Is the smith worth $200 more? No.You can use $100 for a trigger job on the GP100 then it will be as smooth as a smith.I plan on buying a 686 or 586 must have NO LOCK!I really want a 586 the bluing on a smith is fantastic!

bronicadave

Where and by whom has it been recommended to NOT shoot .357 magnum loads all the time in the S&W 686? I have never seen any such recommendation from the manufacturer of the gun or ammunition. Please provide some support for that claim.

spacecoast

They're both fine guns, but my vote is for the S&W. I've never liked the looks of Ruger revolvers, especially the way the hammer is exposed and the resulting huge "step" in back of the hammer. It makes them look as if the hammer was adapted from another, smaller gun. The Smith has a more well-designed and streamlined look, and the L frame is strong enough to handle the hottest .357 ammo you can throw at it.

When I bought my used 686-4 (no lock, no MIM parts), there was a new GP-100 also for sale at the same price, so I was able to handle and dry fire both of them at the same time. I'm not at all sorry I went with the S&W. If you are money-sensitive, I would look for a nice used 686, it should be available somewhere in the $500-$600 range.

collector rob

I have a 686+ 2". It is a great revolver. However the Ruger has the advantage of having an easily changed front sight. I wish my S&W had that feature.

aarondhgraham

Cough-Cough,,,

You can shoot 357 mag loads all the time out of a GP the 686 its not recomended.

Not at all true,,,
The L-frame 686 can handle all the full-house magnum loads you want to shoot.

Perhaps you are thinking about the Model 19 Combat Magnum,,,
It's a smaller K-frame that some sources say can't handle many 110 grain loads.

No one has ever said the 686 can't handle magnum loads,,,
Well, maybe some people have said it,,,
But they are wrong.

Aarond

Where and by whom has it been recommended to NOT shoot .357 magnum loads all the time in the S&W 686?
It's probably on the internet somewhere...:rolleyes:

The 686 was designed for a steady diet of hot loads, as was the GP-100. I'd expect no problems with either.

I shoot the Smiths better, but I've been shooting them for decades. I have, however, been really impressed with the GP-100. You'll be well served with either.

Poodleshooter

I owned a GP100 for about 15 years. My brother in law has a 586, so I've shot both rather extensively. Both are great guns.
I'd go with the Smith. My GP100 was ok, but even when smoothed out by age the trigger pull was subpar when compared to my BIL's 586. Accuracy was ok, but I always shot better with the S&W.

bikerbill

My 4-inch 686+ has been a wonder since new; extremely accurate, totally reliable, feels great and I love shooting ... I don't have any ownership experience with Rugers, but I think I'd spend the extra money for the Smith ...