Ruger goes DI

9x19

Finally... looks like the S&W Sport will have some competition... and Ruger's AR comes with the mostly useless FA and dust cover some folks can't do without.

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

8500.jpg

9x19

Their bolt actions are 1:8 twist, lots of folks like heavier bullets.Until last year S&W used the same twist rate in their Sport.

Dirty_Harry

Yes but their sr556's are 1/9. I am surprised they changed from those. I would rather have the 1/8 anyway.

I think I will pick one up. Perfect rifle for my wife.

Smart choice on the barrel I think - less than an HBAR profile, though still plenty stiff for the recreational shooters that are concerned only about accuracy. And 1:8 is a good twist for the wide variety of ammo on the market. Decent price point; but competition has been heating up in that area. The Ruger really isn't delivering anything spectacular at that price.

Wow, that's the cutting edge.....10 years ago.

Why would anyone want a carbine gas system or fixed front sight?

FAIL! (except on the twist rate; I'll hand that to them)

Last edited:

G.barnes

They also need to upgrade that flash suppressor. The only thing they're good for is muzzle flashing everything around them.

tahunua001

now that's what I'm talking about!!!
after years of my griping about their price tag and worthless piston system... they finally release a reasonably priced DI AR15, just as nature intended.

Glenn E. Meyer

It's advertised as a modern sporting rifle such that it won't scare antigunners. That is a grand strategy of silliness.

Might be a nice gun - who knows. Most ARs are bought for SD according to the NSSF. They are expensive to run in competitions.

skizzums

yup, loks like we will see them in the 600$ range like all the other plain janes. i'm happy to see it though, more competition is good.
nice that it comes with a BUIS

Noreaster

Looks like a great rifle for the price, (priced under the S&W Sport and has dust cover and forward assist.) I have a 1/8 twist barrel on my AR and I have no trouble with the bullets I shoot, 55-64 grain.

If it were a 1:7, I might bite. But, alas, they went to 1:8. Smarter decision for overall sales goals. Would be nice to provide the option for 1:7.

skizzums

yeah, no AR for me unless it's a 1:7. I don't see any reason to go slower, will the fast barrel be less effective on 55gr? My load of choice is 75gr so I need a 1:7, I just don't understand the benefit of the 8s or 9s

tahunua001

I vaguely recall reading that many 1:7 twists are actually 1:7.7 and that many of the 1:8 twists are really just rounded up 1:7.7s... if that is the case, I wonder just how overblown the 7 vs * argument is. most bolt actions in fact have a 1:12 twist... with the accuracy differences with those in standard(50-60 grs) bullet weights, I really doubt that 1:7 really has any true advantage over 1:8 or 1:9 bullets if we are keeping COALs to within AR15 mag specs.

barnbwt

...as if we needed more proof that Ruger is into making commodities, and not products :D. I can't think of another class of firearm more fitting the roll of commodity than the AR, at the moment. Good on Ruger for finally arriving to the party (man, even Remington had them beat...and that's saying something)

TCB