Ruger Deerfield is a shooter!

John D

Took this out for the first time over the weekend....what a great carbine! Easy to handle, fits into your frame nicely, and was very accurate for right out of the box with peep sights and freehand shooting.

The action is really strong, which is good and bad. It was finicky about ammo and would not eject Winchester white box or Black Hills; both were 240g FMJ. American Eagle JHP worked like a dream - maybe a little more energy? Perhaps it will be a little more forgiving after I've pumped more rounds through it.

My only complaint is the 4 round magazine - I'm thinking that this will not sell enough units to convince one of the aftermarket magazine companies to put out a 10 rounder.

Looking forward to getting some handloads worked up for this rifle and taking it to a range to see what it really can do.

Halffast

John,

Glad to hear that you like your Deerfield so well. I have owned a couple of .44 carbines and my favorite hand load is 24.0 gr. of H110 over a Speer 240 gr. SP with a CCI 350 primer. Gives about 1800 to 1850 FPS. HTH. :)

David

VictorLouis

My only complaint is the 4 round magazine

LOL-The clerk in the gunstore had a cute answer for this one. He said the 5th round is always tossed outta your group measurement anyway, so why bother?:D

Deaf Smith

Hope they make a 10 rounder to. Also stainless steel (I am lazy sometimes at cleaning). Ashly needs to make a real good set of ghost ring sights!

Deaf

Rebeldon

It looks like a fine rifle, but what's with the four round magazine? I know it is a deer rifle, but so is the Marlin 1894 which holds ten in its tube magazine. I guess Ruger didn't want anybody to use it to go postal.

Maybe 10 rapidly fired rounds would cause it to get too hot. I remember that my 1894 could really cook my hand if I touched the barrel after I rapidly fired it, and it was a lever action.

Tackleberry

It is truely a beautiful thing.....

I just picked one up two weeks ago :) I am very happy with the performace!

They obuiously sight it in at the factory, point of aim at 30m with Winchester USA Brand (white box) flawless performance!!! three round clover leaf pattern with iron sights, and one enlarged hole once scope was mounted. It's only 1.5-4.5x32 with a circle cross.

I think the 4rounder mag is directly relaited to the rotary design. More would be cool!, but as a friend of mine always said, "If I can't get it in four rounds, ... I don't deserve it"

Ammo
I sighted the scope in with the 240gr. USA Brand because of the supply I had. Thought I'd try the Rem 210gr. semi jkt hollow pt. At 30m the 210's were 2" high and 1" right from the 240's setting.

Safe Shooting & good Luck on the Hunt!!

Deaf Smith

I could see this done to it:

A) Polymer stock with top handguard for when it gets hot.

B) 16 inch barrel with protected front sight (as in M1 carbine).

C) Stainless steel construction.

D) Ashly Ghost ring rear sight

E) 10 shot magazine with extended 'flapper' release.

In other words, a super M1 Carbine!!! In fact, a total replacement for the little M1.

Deaf