Ruger Competition Model Mark II ??

Jeff Thomas

One of our local shops has had one of these on display for some time. Pricey, but well below 'MSRP'. They call it a 'slabside', apparently with some disdain.

While it says 'Target Model' on the side, it appears to be this 'Competition Model' per my review of Ruger's web site.

This sidearm fits my hand like a glove, has great balance, and looks great, in my book. I'm very tempted to take the plunge and buy this one. Besides simply taking it to the range, I'd use it to introduce new shooters to the sport ... biggest downside there is the weight, especially for kids.

I'll never be a competitive pistol shooter. Is this a foolish buy? I have no experience with this pistol, but it appears to have a sterling reputation ... only complaint I've noted is the difficulty of cleaning them.

Your perspectives are appreciated.

Regards from AZ

Ledbetter

Greetings,

I've got one of these. Awesome pistol, weak point is trigger which is really not too bad and easily worked on. Accuracy is better than you or me, probably.

I put Hogue wraparound rubber grips on mine to make it more like my defensive pistols and allow ambidextrous practice.

As you note, weight is more than average. Sometimes I wish I had a lighter pistol for my ten year old daughter. However, the included scope mount and rings more than compensate for the weight difference. I put a Tasco 2x scope on mine.

Regards,

Ledbetter

CoastieN70

Got one, Love it! Disagree about the trigger complaint of Ledbetter. Mine is smooth and consistant with no creap and always breaks at 2.5 pounds.
Weight is what makes it a target pistol. If a pistol is too light it drifts off target too easily.
Buy it you won't regret it.

weegee

CoastieN70, your comments apply precisely to mine--trigger is surprisingly good (for a Ruger/lawyer-designed trigger).

Jeff, the weight is a bit much for some, but then isn't that a great excuse to buy a 22/45 with the lightweight 'standard' barrel? (Your smaller, weaker wristed friends/kids/etc. will fall in love with that one--I know my 97-pound weakling fiancee did when she hefted it at a gun show. Man, that FORCED me to buy it!)

Surprisingly, it too has a most excellent trigger--the equal of the slabsides, which really blew me away!

best, weegee

Ledbetter

Me: Awesome pistol, weak point is trigger which is really not too bad.

The triggers on my gun and other Rugers I have tried, compared to other targets .22s is not the greatest. That's why many folks have them worked on or replaced with aftermarket parts or what have you.

The trigger is very, very good compared to any defensive handgun. It is perfectly acceptable to me as-is, just like Coastie and weegee. My point is that it is the weak link in the chain and can be made better, but I agree that it isn't really necessary unless you're seriously into competitive shooting.

Ledbetter

MrBlonde

Only downside, do I need to remind anyone about cleaning? That means taking that thing apart, that means putting it back together. Great gun otherwise, wonderful gun. But is a nightmare to take down, and try to get back together right without the manual. I know, I know, availible free from Ruger, blah blah blah blah :)

Gremlin

Just got back from the range. Took my son with me to shoot our brand new Ruger Mark II (not the competition model that you mention, but an all stainless model with a 4" bull barrell). What a grrrrrrrrrrrrreat shooting gun!

At 15 yards and without a scope, I could shoot the center out of the target. I mean I'm talking about ten shot groups of 1 1/2" with the fourth clip through the gun. We must've shot 300 rounds through the Ruger without that first jam or failure to feed.

My son's eleven and fatigue did start to set in after a while--the gun ways 44 ounces--but he shot some of his best 7 yard groups ever.

I bought the Mark II model number KPK-512 in all stainless new in the box with the lock and the spare magazine for $290 in Evansville, Indiana. Judge your deal accordingly...

I've shot the S&W 22's and the expensive one felt only marginally better in my hand (the 641 I believe is the model number) and the less expensive ones weren't even close to the Ruger. The trigger is not what I would call crisp, but I tell ya', I can't argue with the gun's results. It'll outshoot me.

------------------
Take the long way home...

makarov

How much is it below MSRP? Nobody actually charges MSRP for these guns. It should be priced about $350 for the stainless model. I have seen a lot of them priced at $379 also, but $350 would be a better deal. I have on with a Swift 2x scope mounted on it. They are great guns, very accurate and extremely durable. They are heavy, but so are most target pistols. Even if you are just a casual target shooter/plinker (like me) it is nice to have an accurate pistol. That way you know when you are getting better or worse, you at least have a consistent gun to work with. Takedown is tricky at first, but really is nothing to worry about. Get one, you won't regret it.

- Makarov

Larry C

There's a "Government Target" Model which has a 6 7/8 barrel which does not taper, but which is also not slab sided. Perhaps this is what you saw (have?). (I hope it's "have" because this is great fun to shoot indoors and out.) It's sensitive to ammo, but you can't beat the cost of the gun or the ammo.

Jeff Thomas

He's either asking $379 or $389, I don't recall. But, they've had it for awhile, I think the market is a little thin for that pistol, and I'm guessing I can get it for $350. That is an investment for me, but it is still very tempting. I think I'll probably pick it up, if it's still there next week.

It definitely is a so-called 'slabside'.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've shot other Mark II's, and always planned to get one someday. This may be the one.

Regards from AZ

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
I feel constrained to put in another good word for my 'namesake'.
Get it. It's probably the best buy in a .22 auto pistol you'll find.
Rugers just keep getting better and better. I have some that are over 30 years old that are shooting better than they ever did, and I've never had one of the 20-plus Rugers that I've owned back to the factory. Shooting ranges all over are crawling with guys who can steer you straight on trigger improvement, if you are too impatient to let it wear in (which it will.)
Yes, it's heavy. A young shooter will want to shoot it from a rest until his muscles are capable of two-handing it.
If I lost all my rimfires and had to replace them with new, the CT would be the first I'd buy.
Don't pay any attention to the fumble-thumbs who whine about disassembly-reassembly. You just have to be careful to get the hammer strut into the top of the mainspring housing properly, as you swing it shut. Anyone who can't learn the drill with three repetitions would find it hard to pour water out of a boot with instructions printed on the heel.

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Walt Sherrill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrBlonde:
Only downside, do I need to remind anyone about cleaning? That means taking that thing apart, that means putting it back together. Great gun otherwise, wonderful gun. But is a nightmare to take down, and try to get back together right without the manual. I know, I know, availible free from Ruger, blah blah blah blah :)[/quote]

I think its easy. Can almost do it blindfolded. YOu just need to have someone show you the trick of getting the little "dongle" (the hammer strut) to fit in the middle of the mainspring housing.

Here's an ILLUSTRATED guide. It really isn't that big of a chore. Not as big a deal, for me as cleaning and reassembling 1911 with a full-length guide rod. (Now I consider that a big pain in the...)
http://www.ontargetguns.com/striptip.html