Ruger/Colt hybrid revolver? What do you think?

larryf1952

While browsing Gunbroker, I came across this listing for a Ruger Security Six with a Colt Python barrel. Apparently, this project was professionally done back in the 80's by pistolsmith Bill Davis, with whom I am not familiar. The listing also shows a magazine article that was associated with this gun. Personally, I'm not a big fan of custom jobs like this, and I tend to wonder, "what's the point?"

This gun carries a hefty price tag. I like the old Rugers a lot (I have one), but I can't believe that a Ruger action would make this gun more desireable or valuable than a mint, 100% original Python that can still be bought for less than this gun. Given the smoothness and legendary reputation of the Python action, it would seem that the only advantage that the Ruger action could offer in this case would be strength. Generally, I'd tend to think that this gun would ultimately be worth LESS than a real Python...not taking into account the labor of the pistolsmith...and that it's appeal would be extremely limited to potential buyers.

My intent is not to rag on this gun, other than to express my own opinion, but this got me to wondering what tickles the fancy of some folks for things like this. What do you think? Would you be interested in paying the freight for something like this?

SIGSHR

I recall reading about these in American Handgunner 30 or so years ago-a "Couger" they were usually called. When done on an S&W they were called a
"Smython". No doubt they were what induced Ruger to introduce the heavy barrel on the GP-100 and S&W the L frames. An intesting artifact but out of my price range. Don't recognize the gunsmith's name, the Bain & Davis 357/44 was developed by one Keith Davis.

Microgunner

Years back a local gunsmith, Jim Fish, used to mount Python barrels on S&W K frames for competition. He called them Smolts.

pendennis

I remember reading...

...about the Ruger conversions. Supposedly the Python barrels had better rifling and held tighter tolerances than that of the Rugers.

Maybe so. But they are sure ugly. Note how the barrel to frame fit leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Jim Watson

Smith & Wesson gives a neater fitup.
I think they used an N rear sight on a K frame so the extra length would blend with the Colt rib.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
I've always thought adding Colt barrels to other revolvers was like putting Porsche engines in Chevettes: yes, it could be done, but why?

freebird72

I remember seeing that "Cougar" on gunbroker a few months ago. It seems like a real good idea to me. The strength of a Ruger but with the precision of a Colt.:eek::D So if anything other than the barrel breaks it won't take a master gunsmith to fix it. I would have one if the money was right. But then again I don't mind having a Chevy motor in other classic cars; but some would die if you were to put a Chevy 454 in a Oldsmobile.:D

NoSecondBest

Back in the early 80s I had this gentleman build two guns for me at the same time. One was a SW mod 27 conversion and the other was a Ruger Security Six conversion. He rebarreled them both with custom barrels, trigger work, changed lock-up, trigger stops, sights, under barrel lugs, and other misc changes to the guns. When I got them back, they would both shoot ten shot groups under an inch at 50 yards. These were, and are, by far the most accurate revolvers I have ever seen. He was reccommended to me by Frank Packmayr who thought he was one of the best revolver mechanics out there. He was correct.

bigghoss

bill davis was at one time a gunsmith known for his custom revolvers. I guess he's retired now so used in the only way to get one of his creations. supposedly this guy was one of the most sought after 'smiths around. I'm sure there's more to this gun than just a colt barrel which is why the price is so high.

YARDDOG(1)

"[there's nothing in that listing worth $2,000. not even half of that amount... rare, or not]"

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^
Nothing atall, Colt barrel or not ; )
Y/D

James K

Member In Memoriam
As NoSecondBest indicates, those barrel jobs were seldom done in isolation; the whole gun was worked over. The result was good, but ultimately no one could say how much of the improvement was due to the supposedly better Colt barrel and how much was due to the other work.

The value today depends on how much someone with the same accuracy goal wants a gun like that. IMHO, there is no collector interest as usuallly understood.

Jim

Bill Davis used to have a shop in Emeryville, California and Sacramento, California. Those conversions were done in the '80s.

Jim March

If it's absolutely cherry and well-fitted inside in addition to the barrel mod, that is MAYBE a $700 gun. Tops. $2k? Somebody is dreaming.

PawPaw

Jim Clark used to do them too. A number of the state troopers in north Louisiana had them done to SW19s. It was the "tacticool" of the late 1970s.

TXGunNut

Bill Davis and Jim Clark were big names in the PPC revolver games back in those days. IIRC Davis built PPC "open" guns from S&W K-Frames and occasionally Pythons so he had a few barrels lying around after installing heavy barrels and sight ribs. I think the Couger was just a novelty piece that resulted from a bored 'smith and some leftover pieces. L-Frame S&W will do anything a Couger will do @ 1/4 the price and look better doing it. JMHO, of course.

natman

Bill Davis had an excellent reputation back in the day and built very nice revolvers. Still, you could get a real Python AND a real Security Six for what this fellow wants for his.

I'd pass.