Ruger Charger Takedown Accuracy?

Swifty Morgan

I have a Ruger Charger in .22 LR. I bought the takedown model. I stuck a red dot in it. I thought it would be fun to have while roaming around the farm.

Having done all this, I then read that the takedown model has accuracy issues because the barrel doesn't always align the same way when it is taken off and reinstalled. I assume the same issue would apply to the 10/22 rifle, which is the same basic gun.

Has anyone here put this to the test? I know this is not a precision firearm, but I would rather have 5 MOA than 20 MOA.

Adventurer 2

I have the old version of the Charger, with wood stock. i have a red dot on it. I don't think it is as accurate as my 10/22 . But my 10/22 has a match chamber and is picky about what ammo will run in it. The Charger eats every type of ammo I have ever tried. I think it is accurate enough or I would have got rid of it.

tangolima

I only have the takedown version, so I can't compare it to the regular model.
You want to know the accuracy of the take-down version, and you have one. Shoot it and you can tell us. How well the regular model shoots probably doesn't matter.

I don't have one, but I think it should do no worse than 2" at 50yd.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

FrankenMauser

With the locking collar / tension adjustment fairly tight, the TDs are pretty repeatable for POI, even if taken down and reassembled. (Personal sample size of one, but I've talked to a few other owners, as well.)
With factory tension, the average shooter isn't going to notice a difference, since most people are terrible shots, don't give .22 LR any respect, and only shoot trash at 25 feet.

However, I had to buy my son a 10/22 Compact to replace his 10/22TD, because it just wasn't good enough. The collar would sometimes loosen up and throw the POI.
Since we were shooting NRL22, repeatability and consistency were pretty important.

With the collar reasonably tight - not crazy, but good tension - it was good for about 1/2-1" at 50 yd (~1-2 MoA). But if the collar was loose, it might start shooting 3" groups (~6 MoA). If the collar was backed off so that there was no tension, and only the latch was keeping the barrel in place by preventing rotation, it could easily shoot 8+ MoA.
*All with CCI Standard Velocity.

That being said, you can control the POI and group size with pressure on the fore-end, especially when the tension is low. The direction you push determines where the group goes, and the amount of pressure determines group size. More pressure = more consistent/'smaller' group.
So our temporary answer, while waiting for the Compact and its parts to show up, was to go for crazy tension on the collar, and always put downward pressure on the fore-end. No matter the prop we were shooting from, pressure was put on the rifle to mimic shooting prone with a bipod.

At the end of the day, the real answer is to attach your sighting system to the barrel.
Then there isn't any shift to worry about and you can retain all the benefits of using the TD system normally.