Ruger buys Marlin

jski

Ruger bought Marlin. Personally I think this is the best possible outcome for Marlin. Ruger is well managed by people who understand guns and the American gun culture. And, just as importantly, Ruger is a company with the assets to right the Marlin ship. Marlin’s market cap is ~$1.3 billion.

Comments? Opinions? Questions?

jski

RUGER: Market Cap $1,069,874,285
S&W: Market Cap $860,914,439

So both have the assets but which is more likely to fix Marlin? My bet would be Ruger.

Geezerbiker

I have to admit since Bill Ruger is no longer running the company, all their products have gotten better. Normally the opposite happens when a founder steps down.

I'd like to say if they brought back the 3 screw Super Blackhawk, I'd buy one but I'm pretty sure I'm not buying any more guns.

Tony

ghbucky

Statement on Ruger's home page that I loved:

"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

jski

This is interesting:
Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.

musicmatty

That is great news and competition is always good. I fully expect that they will use Henry as a template of what a modern day lever should be.

Dranrab

When did Ruger start valuing quality control? I have had to send 3 brand new ones back to get them to function as designed. Have had two others that didn't function as designed out of the box and have had other quality issues that I have chosen to live with to live with or try to repair myself.

I suspect the marriage of Ruger and Marlin will result in a product in which the customer is responsible for final QC.

P-990

musicmatty said:
That is great news and competition is always good. I fully expect that they will use Henry as a template of what a modern day lever should be.

Oh I hope they don't rework them to be like Henry's rifles! Not that there's anything inherently mechanically wrong with the products Henry puts out, but they are NOT Marlins or Winchesters. Please, please let consumers retain a choice. Don't get me wrong, Henry puts out some nice stuff, that's definitely well-finished and generally very attractive and functional. But they don't feel or handle anything like a Marlin or Winchester, which is part of the draw of the other 2 brands, in my opinion.

I'm disappointed that Marlin availability will be impacted (again) by a(nother) future production facility move. The products I've been seeing recently have finally started to be consistent in the metal parts fit and feel. They still had inconsistencies in the wood furniture, with respect to finish quality, but the actions were beginning to feel good across the board. Oh, and they were finally arriving with lever loops that couldn't be substituted for razors! :eek:

I'll keep my opinion on Ruger's final assembly QC short: I've seen way too much poor or rough final machining on the frames of GP-100s in the last 4 years. At least one revolver wouldn't function properly due to the roughness, went back to Ruger, came back with no changes, and finally had to be finished by a gunsmith so the cylinder would turn with ammunition in it. I still think the GP-100 is one of the best production .357 revolvers around, but I don't have illusions of Ruger's infallible reputation anymore.

ilmonster

Very encouraging news. Excited to see how the transition goes.

Although anecdotal, the Rugers I have (.22 to .44Mag) were all produced with good quality. Never a problem. Love my 5" GP-100. Have taken it apart down to the bare frame and springs (same with my SuperBlackhawk) and parts fit well and are finished properly.

Then again, the 22" Marlin 1895 I bought a few years ago (a few years after Remington bought Marlin and got through some of the initial QC issues) has performed great. Have north of 600 rounds (mostly handloads) through it.

Last edited:

stagpanther

My 2 marlins I bought within the last 2 years I got very lucky with--they both are well-made and shoot well. I think this will be a great match-up.

hammie

Since they don't have a lever action .22 in their lineup, I hope Ruger brings back the marlin model 39.

I have also heard that the final two bidders for the ammunition manufacturing are Olin (Winchester-Western) and Vista outdoor sports (Federal). I hope federal gets it. I like their brass better. Although it would be ironic if Olin won, and now Winchester would be making Remington ammunition.

Has anyone who is bidding or won the bid for the arms manufacturing?

T. O'Heir

Ruger is run by marketing MBA's who have done just as many stupid things as any company run by MBA's.
"...Bill Ruger is no longer running the company..." He died in 2002. He had his hand in every design until he did die though.

Scorch

I expect the takeover by Ruger will be just as difficult as the takeover by Remington was. New management, new expectations, new rules, new problems. Those of us who were around remember the P85, P95, and Mini 14s of yesteryear. We also remember the Ruger 77s that shot 4 MOA that were considered just fine by Ruger. We remember Bill Ruger's gaffes, as well as the new managements' gaffes. But having a gun company in charge of Marlin should be good in the long run.