Ruger bluing question?

Venom1956

So I am just curious if anyone else has this issue.

My OM Ruger revolvers bluing seem to 'brown' (some cases plum) much easier then my S&W or Colt revolvers... They are stored the same safe kept with the humidity as low as possible. I noticed on one of my Rugers its seems only what was exposed to air browned compared to what was resting on the pistol shelf.

All my guns are coated in Eezox before storage most of the are on their 3 or 4th treatment.

I am under the impression this browning is normal to a degree? most of mine its noticeable under LED light.

My question is does anyone else notice this? I am guessing that it is due to the process used in bluing the gun?

Just wanted to get a discussion started about it.

Bob Wright

As I recall that had something to do with the chemical make-up of the steel used at the time. Most of the time it was the parts like loading gate or frame.

Some find that highly desireable.

Bob Wright

FloridaVeteran

GeauxTide - Helena, AL - as I recall, there is (or was) a pretty strong CAS posse or two that shoots in Helena. Nice place - been through there, on my way to Opp. GPS took me to a humongous gravel pit, a bit south of there, mebbe six years ago when nav systems weren't as precisely calibrated as they are today.

At least you are well hedged, with LSU as a backup.

Bob Wright probably knows way more about it than I do, but "patina," the gradual browning that came to a blued gun with age, is valuable - probably much more so if it is even. In recent years, Uberti (and several of its offspring) has offered a finish called "Charcoal Blue." It comes out as a bright blue, odd looking at first, light and shiny. But I am told, by the compadres who bought them, that this is closer to real 1870's bluing and that it will turn into that nice old patina brown much sooner than the bluing developed in more recent years. Beats me if that is true, but it seems the only logical reason to make such an offering.

At least you have something of genuine interest. Such guns gradually are going the way of Bob and me.

dahermit

Early Ruger single actions commonly had that happen to the loading gate and the problem has been discussed for years. The commonly held cause was that the steel used in the investment cast process used for the loading gates was of a different alloy than the rest of the gun, causing the bluing process to not work as well on them. I had one of those early guns and the loading gate was a purple color as I remember. I do not know if the current Rugers still have this problem or not.

DAnjet500

The color comes from the amount of silicon which was added to the steel to make it more fluid when casting. The more fluidity the metal has the more likely it would get to every nook and cranny in the mold. However, too much silicon and you get a grip frame like this one. I like the way it looks.

ColtCon044.jpg

dahermit

The color comes from the amount of silicon which was added to the steel to make it more fluid when casting. The more fluidity the metal has the more likely it would get to every nook and cranny in the mold. However, too much silicon and you get a grip frame like this one. I like the way it looks.
Put a magnet on that grip-frame...is it steel or aluminum?

James K

Member In Memoriam
I am pretty sure that gun Danjet pictures has been reblued and the color was the result of a tank that wasn't hot enough plus Ruger's alloy, so it is not really Ruger's fault. In fact, it took them a while to figure out why they were getting that plum color but they finally solved the problem.

Jim

geetarman

I have two 30 plus year old Model 77V rifles that have never been back to the factory or to a repair center. Both of those rifles have receivers that are a distinct plum color.

They were not that way when new and they do not show that color indoor. In bright sunlight, the change is striking.

DAnjet500

All Super Blackhawks have a steel frame except for those which were supplied with a brass frame.

This gun was made in 1962 after the company which supplied the mahogany boxes to Ruger had burned. Since the guns were no longer shipped in the wooden box and instead furnished with a cardboard box, Ruger gave these guns a super polish and blued finish. I too believe that this gun has been refinished. However, I have another OM Super that has not been refinished and has a beautiful plum loading gate.