Ruger Blackhawk Convt 357/9mm

Noreaster

I have the itch for a 4 5/8 Blackhawk in 357. For not much more $ the convt with a 9mm cylinder is available at my LGS. Is it worth it? How does it shoot with the 9mm cylinder? I can purchase 9mm ammo cheaper than 38spl or 357 mag for plinking.

smee78

I haven't had any problems with mine, i don't use it to often because I am a reloaded but if its just a little more then why not. The 4 5/8 Blackhawk is one of my favorites to shoot.

DaleA

I've had several friends with the .357/9mm and .45 Colt/.45 ACP Blackhawk conversion guns and most of them say they don't do the conversion. That is, they found they liked one chambering and stayed with it.

That said, they all still bought the conversion models 'you know, just to have it' and they'll all get higher prices if they ever sell the guns because have the conversion unit.

If it isn't a whole lot more money I'd get the conversion unit too.

Pahoo

Great shooter !!!

A shooting buddy of mine, just got one and it's a fantastic shooter. Actually, we liked shooting the 9MM more than the .38/.357 and the nine was more accurate. If I had the opportunity, I'd get this combo or convertible. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

dscampbell

Mine has the longer barrel but it shoots equally well with either cylinder. The advantage I see is in the event of a civil meltdown 9mm will be available as supplies dwindle.

tallball

I have had two Ruger convertibles, a 22/22 and a 45/45. In each case I thought the extra cylinder was well worth the money.

Noreaster

I held a Umberti Cattleman in 357 mag and I liked it. It's no Ruger but it was less expensive, aside from the brass grip handle and fixed sight it was had a real nice feel to it. Question is how do they hold up.

Hammerhead

I had the Ruger convertible many years ago, I was very pleased with the 9mm cylinder. I shot a lot of steel cased Russian ammo in it with good results.

ThomasT

I held a Umberti Cattleman in 357 mag and I liked it. It's no Ruger but it was less expensive, aside from the brass grip handle and fixed sight it was had a real nice feel to it. Question is how do they hold up.

Rugers hold up just fine. But an Umberti, who knows? I have never heard of one.

I had a 357/9mm and it shot just fine. I thought the gun was just too heavy for the caliber. The 45 Colt/45ACP comes with the alloy grip frame and is much lighter in weight.

Last edited:

Ruger45LC

It should shoot okay with 9mm ammo, maybe not as good as .357 Mag or 38 Special since 9mm is .355 jacketed or .356" lead, or .002" smaller in diameter than the .357.

I have the .45 Colt/ACP convertible and it shoots real well, but both are .451/.452", they're a super deal for the $$.

bumnote

I've never used my 9mm cylinder, don't have any other 9mm firearms so I've never gotten around to buying the ammo. I reload, and all of my other wheel guns are 38 or 357. I bought my Blackhawk years ago, used, when there wasn't really a price difference.
I do intend to have the 9mm cylinder converted someday to a wildcat round. I stumbled across Gary Reeder who converts the 9mm to his 356grn round. The cylinder is bored out to accept 41 mag brass, the 41mag is necked down for a 357 bullet. Velocities can top 2000fps.

The Blackhawk is a great revolver...and it's built like tank.