Ruger Blackhawk Conversions

SundownRider

Been looking to get a new revolver, and I was looking at the Ruger Blackhawks. I've owned them in the past and I was looking to get a revolver in .357. When I saw they had 9mm cylinders to interchange, I got real happy, since in my mind that makes three guns in one. .357/.38/9mm

Anyone have one of these? How's the accuracy, value, etc? This gun would be used mainly for target shooting and such.

DouglasB

Blackhawk 9mm/357Mag Convertible

I purchased 6" barrel New Model Blackhawk Convertible in 2009. Fit and finish is great. I like the slimmer profile of the recent new model grips; although, the textured plastic panels did not feel so good to my hands with 357 loads.

Using the 357 Cyl:
- Shooting 148 Grn WCs - predictably accurate at 25 yards - in the black.
- Shooting 180 Grn Federal Premium 357. I was not satisfied that I could hit consistently in the black at 25-35 yards with this load. I had no time to practice and sight in with another load for deer. so I left it at home this season.

Using the 9mm Cyl:
I found it on par with the wadcutters. Very little recoil and a pleasure to shoot. I didn't measure the groups - but recall being satisfied with the performance of 9mm and 38s.

Part 2:
I also have an older (circa 1997) 4 5/8" SS Blackhawk I took a little 6 point buck with 3 years ago with the 357 load I mentioned above. This revolver is heavier and thicker than the new model convertible,with smooth cocobolo grip panels. At this point, I shoot the older revolver better than the new one. It's all me I'm sure - but ol'reliable is what I'm used to... the new 6" stays on the range and not in the field until I find a load that works with my eyes and arms.

I like the Blackhawks, so I'll do nothing but encourage you to get one! The 9mm cylinder is a plus! It feels good in the hand. Heft and balance are good for me.

Hope this helps.