Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag

SCDeac82

Just put one on layaway-the 50th Anniversary (1956-2006) Edition Flatop.

Another store customer said "You'll need to replace those (black plastic) grips."

What are the best replacement grips?

Thanks for any suggestions.

JB

Bob Wright

Rubber grips don't belong on a single action, they defeat the purpose of the plowhandle grip.

Best grips I know of are from Cary Chapman:

http://www.clccustomgrips.com

I've got several pairs on my Rugers and they are first rate.

101_0001.jpg

Bob Wright

rclark

I have Bear Paw Grips on mine and most my other SA revolvers. Yeah, you don't want to keep the o' sandpaper grips on that .44Mag.... There is no best BTW, just what fits your hands!

SCDeac82

Thanks rclark. The Bear Claws are really nice as well.

I guess I was wondering whether these custom grips are larger than the standard grip panels, or just smoother (Not checkered)?

From what I heard, you want a 44 Mag SA to pivot in your hand upon recoiling...?

JB

tlm225

Since I have a smaller than average hand (size 7 glove) I have a set of Eagle Gunfighter grips on my Blackhawk. For me it was a big improvement over the stock grip.

drail

The original plow handle SA grip frame was designed when these guns fired black powder loads that had almost no recoil but would roll the gun back in your hand to bring the hammer under your thumb for the next shot. Works great. When chambered in a big bore Magnum caliber this is not what you want. After years of shooting these things I decied that if you want to shoot heavy calibers in a SA the Bisley is the only way to go. It does not roll back in your hand and is very similar to the grip design of a S&W DA revolver and pushes straight back into your hand without the torque roll of the plow handle. I love recoil just as much as the next guy but having the grip frame skid across your palm and raise blisters is not my idea of fun. On a standard SA frame almost all of the grips on the market that I have seen are mainly a cosmetic dress up item.

Nathan

Rubber grips don't belong on a single action, they defeat the purpose of the plowhandle grip.

I'm not sure the plastic grips are bad, but I do like the above quote. I like some movement of an SA revolver in my hand to burn off recoil. My dad put Pachmeyrs on his Super Blackhawk and liked them. I just thought they were OK. They put more recoil to your wrist, if I remember right. I put Eagle grips on my Bisley and paid to have them fit. I feel they are great.

GeauxTide

Your question on fit

The Bear Paws on my Bisleys are standard width grips; however, there is a slight swell that sits right above your thumb/second finger. Does a nice job of keeping the recoil roll up to a minimum.

Wyoredman

Whatever you do, do not order the faux ivory grips from the Ruger store! I ordered some to replace the black plastic on my .41 BlackHawk and they were back ordered for 4 months. When they finally showed up, they fit very poorly! The grips protrude from the backstrap, near the heal. They are not even close to matching, side to side and they are cheaply made! From a distance, they look good, but up close, terrible!

I love my Rugers, but the quality of these grips is below their standard. I am not sure who suplies them, but they stink!

Buy some good stocks from a reliable make. Don't be dissapointed as I am.

SCDeac82

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate your experiences and suggestions.

Can't wait to get to the range once I pay off this baby. BOOM ! :D

JB