Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .44

O/U Mike

I have this revo on hold at Gander Mountain for $450 in stainless. Is this a good deal? You can see from my sig what I have now. I like SA, my 1911's are now my favorite pistols. Is this a good choice? I am getting interested in Cowboy action events. Just another data point.

gak

I think given the market it's fine (you are talking new, right?) since the .44 Vaq isn't being made any more - and no discussion that I know of to reintroduce. If they do, it;ll likely pack a similar weight (vs the downscaled New Vaq), but instead load-reload/index "better" (direct stop on chamber)--and maybe have the New Vaquero (old-old/original Blackhawk) grip--both like the brand new .44 Blackhawks. AND even if they do all that, no telling whether or when a Bisley will show up again. I have a non-Bisley SS .44 Mag Vaq 5-1/2" and love it. Great gun. Do admit after handling (and buying) the New Vaq in .357 that I do like the new Colt-like indexing; other than that - no gripes on the .44.

O/U Mike

Decisions, Decisions...

Well..., I went to the Gander Mtn in Geneva, IL, to see the revo that they had in stock. The SS finish was not as good as the one they had in Kenosha, WI, so they are shipping the one from Kenosha to Geneva, IL. That's all good. But I am in need of feedback from TFL regarding this initiative. I am not a reloader, but if I purchase this one, I may have to become one, because each round is $0.40-.50). I like good booms, but 4 bits for the experience seems like a lot, considering how much lead I put down a pipe once I own it. You can see from my sig what I already know.

gak

Hi O/U - to me it's just one of those rounds (I'm a masochist with another round I love, .32 Mag) where you just have to suck it up if you're not a reloader which I am not. I love the .44 Mag/.44 Sp capability of the gun and therefore willing to put up with some expense. You may hear from .45 fans as well, but they're not so cheap either. Yes .45s can be "loaded to same or better" if handloading, but to me nothing beats the bullet/round choices made available in .44. Don't ask me where the good deals in ammo are as I'm still working on whittling down an old, cheaper stash! Go .44 - and the Bisley design is a sweetheart as well.