Ruger Bisley sights

velocette

I have a Ruger Bisley, .45 Colt with 6" barrel. The revolver shoots as nice as can be. My problem is that I cannot clearly see the sights. The notch at the back is small and the front sight is narrow. Not a good combination for 65 year old eyes. I've tried the white paint route & it does not last. Then the orange flourescent, it doesn't last.
Any suggestions that will not break the bank & hopefully without modifying the revolver.

Roger

edrice

Well, this is modifying the revolver, very slightly, but it's inexpensive and useful. I had a Bisley Vaquero and had a smith open up the rear sight to .15 inch. Made all the difference in the world.

Another suggestion regards point of aim. You can determine if your favorite round shoots right or left and have the smith open up one side of the sight or the other to compensate.

Ed

velocette

edrice;
Darn good idea. I did local search for a gunsmith, called him up & discussed the idea. His comment was that he was also over 65 & understood. In fact had done several of them already. The work will be scheduled in the near future. I will also use the process to "adjust" the revolvers propensity to shoot a bit to the left of the point of aim.
(No way will I have a left leaning revolver in my battery.) :-^

Thanks for the tip.

Roger

Jim March

Does this gun have adjustable sights? If so anything for the regular Blackhawk will work. There are very good options at:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/parts_Rug_Rough_Country_Adj_Rear.htm

...for the rear.

I've personally gone totally sights-bonkers with weird homebrew experimental stuff and absolutely love it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1jimmarch/3630584151/in/photostream/

Real Goshen Hexsites that started life as Glock parts could be adapted to an adjustable-sight Ruger SA with some difficulty. This sort of setup is just amazing in operation.

edrice

Yes, that needs to be corrected right away. :D

BTW, I'm 63 and understand the problem too.

Glad to have been of help.

Ed