Ruger being sold??

dodge

Has anybody heard of this? Heard as a rumor from a friend and was wondering if this is true or not. My understanding it was bought by the same outfit that owns Winchester, Browning and others.

KSFreeman

The French? Well, at least the employees will eat better and have lots more vacation.

I don't think the French will be as anti-gun as Bill Ruger though.

papercut

Sold? Technically not possible, since they're a pubicly-owned company. They could be bought in a takeover if someone buys up a majority of the stock, but there isn't any news about this on the business sites. With 26,910,700 shares of the company outstanding, and at today's closing price of $10.27 per share, just buying 50.1% of the company would cost $138,462,817.39 (not including brokerage fees). Any attempt to buy up half the shares in a short amount of time would actually drive the price up drastically, so it would have to be done in little bits at a time, and it would become obvious what someone was doing once they owned a few percent of the stock.

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Stock/ownership.asp?Country=USA&Symbol=RGR
http://biz.yahoo.com/n/r/rgr.html

(Sorry, it's late, I'm tired, and I get cranky and analytical when that happens.)

wakal

I just received my shareholder's report from Ruger yesterday...no mention of anything like that.

Alex

KSFreeman

Mal H, last I knew GIAT was French. Of course, those sneaky frogs could have sold out to someone else and not told me.

If Ruger is purchased, can they move it to Bill Ruger's spiritual home in the People's Republic of China?

at2000

I just checked Bloomberg (an information system for the financial industry). There was no such announcement. If there was a significant ownership change, an announcement would be required, as Ruger is a publicly-owned company.

Dave R

Apparently no truth to it. at2000 is right. They would have to disclose something like this, and there is no news.