Ruger bearcat ?

rebs

I have the newer model and the engraving on the cylinder is so shallow it is hard to see. Is this the way they are or did this one net get engraved right ? I was thinking about a gold inlay kit to show the engraving better, what is your opinions ?

Ricklin

"Roll Engraved"

A Bearcat is a bit of a stretch to be called engraving. It's done with a machine and IMHO adds no value to a firearm.

Gold filling it??....not to my taste, but it's your gun.

rebs

It seems the older ones with the brass trigger guard are much better engraved. That is why I thought maybe this one wasn't done right ?

DPris

Member Emeritus
They can vary, the "engraving" is machine-made & depth can be slightly inconsistent.
Denis

James K

Member In Memoriam
That "engraving" is actually done by rolling the cylinder, under pressure, across a plate with the scene on it, the same way Colt did it all those years ago. It may be lighter than in the past if the steel in the cylinder is harder, or the factory may have lightened up on the pressure to avoid distorting the cylinder.

Jim

rebs

I emailed Ruger about the engraving and they want to send me a label to send it to them for evaluation. I wonder if it is worth it and how long it might take.

dgludwig

I always thought the scenes were "etched" on the Bearcats but it seems "machine engraving" is the process Ruger uses on these keen little revolvers. You could always get someone who knows what they're doing to chase the engraved lines with a tool to deepen the existing engraving.

DPris

Member Emeritus
They'll do one of two things: either replace with another cylinder, or return it with a short note saying "In specs".
Either way, they're closed for the rest of the year, so you should get it back in about two weeks, possibly sooner.

It'll never be worth adding gold to, but your choice.
Denis