Ruger Bearcat: Anyone have one? Comments please

b.thomas

I had a single six but not the little cub but have handled a couple and they were very nice little shooters. Ruger pretty much has the single shot rimfires (and center fires) down pat!
Well worth It! .:D

James K

Member In Memoriam
IMHO, the Bearcat is cute as the dickens, but too small. (Yes, I know it was "inspired" by the old Remington pocket revolver, which is about the same size.)

Still, it is a neat little gun (can I use the word "cute" again - it just seems to fit?) and fun to shoot, but I much prefer the larger Single Six (or whatever number it is now).

In the old days, the equivalent size gun would have been carried in a pocket, but today a Bearcat would not be a preferred gun for carry. They are fun plinkers for holster carry when hiking, or just shooting on a range (without too much hope of high scores).

Jim

DPris

Member Emeritus
There's a Kindle eBook on two of 'em available on Amazon, if you want a good write-up that covers both sighted & un-sighted.
Denis

caz223

I got the shopkeeper. The teeny, tiny one.
It's easy to cock the hammer, the hammer feels like a somewhat smaller super blackhawk hammer. The hammer is nice.
The trigger is a skinny arrangement, feels like a thin piece of stamped metal (because that's what it is.) about the width of a serving fork. Let me rephrase, it's about the thickness of a serving fork.
The ejector rod is clumsy, and short, and for full ejection you need to partially eject the case, then turn the cylinder a little bit, pull the ejector rod back until it catches the rim of the case, then eject. It's a pain, but it does work. If you have small nimble fingers, you might be able to grab the partially ejected case and just pull it out.
The gun works like the OLD single sixes with half cock.
You can't just open the loading gate and load like on the blackhawks of the last 40+ years. You have to pull the hammer back to the half cock notch.
The sights are like the rest of the gun-tiny, but usable.
As far as accuracy goes, I don't know, I shot it at a 8" plate at almost point blank, and not one hole in six shots, so I have to go to the range and try a bigger target to see what's up. Range report tomorrow, if all works out.
I can tell you it's not a gun to shoot at 50 yards. Or 25. Maybe 15, who knows?
This is all specific to the shopkeeper model.
It's cute as a button, and it's really awesome to look at.
The adjustable sighted new bearcat is an entirely different animal, I would suspect.
But the shopkeeper does fit easily in your pants pocket.
I bought it brand new, and the screw heads are all narfed up.
I would have expected better from Ruger, but will give the gun a chance.
I suspect they will retain their value, or gain, since they are awesome looking and will prolly outlive their owner's kids.

Last edited:

bamaranger

older one

I've got an older one, circa mid 60's. It has not been back to Ruger for a 6- shot kit, and it won't be going. A friend was going through her passed father's things,and found it in a drawer. Family was not interested, and I made an offer.

The sights are hard to see, and on my old model, fixed. The trigger is fair enough. The grips are indeed tiny. The revolvers biggest perk is their diminutive size. You can indeed carry one in your pocket. During deer/bow season, mine often rides in the slash pocket of my GI wool pants. A holster just adds more bulk and bother. I've got no serious designs on using it for SD or even or finishing shots, I see it more as a signalling device, that in a pinch, can shoot. The old "3-shot is a universal distress call" does not work so good with arrows!

I can punch a coke can with it often enough at 10-15 yds that it is useful enough as an impromptu plinker. Any farther, or for much shooting, there are easier .22 handguns for the task.

marano

Bearcat

I have one I bought new in 1999. It has been ultra reliable and with the fixed sights shoots about an inch and a half low dead center. Great little plinking gun and woods walker. I love mine. I also have a Single Six. Love that one too. I mostly leave the magnum cylinder in the Single Six.

Pahoo

They are sweet !!!

Still, it is a neat little gun (can I use the word "cute" again - it just seems to fit?) and fun to shoot, but I much prefer the larger Single Six (or whatever number it is now).
Pretty much echoes my feelings. As for "cute", I recently handled the "Shop-Keeper" model and when I saw the price, laid it back down. If one starts out by buying a Single-Six, it's hard to buy one of these little beauties, unless you are a Ruger fan ....... ;)

Be Safe !!!

JWT

I had one and finally traded it. Darn nice little gun, the problem is the size. It was great on the few occasions my daughter wanted to shoot with me, but too small (IMO) for anything else. It was a typical Ruger, very well built, never a problem with it. I especially like the older models with the gold trigger guard.

DPris

Member Emeritus
The Kindle I referred to covers the first Shopkeeper & the Lipsey's adjustable-sighted model, both in stainless.
Accuracy, velocity, characteristics of both models.
Denis

44 AMP

Staff
Dad got Mom a Super Bearcat (steel frame) about 71 or 72. $57 with a left handed holster thrown in.

For Mom, it was about perfect. Mom was 4"10 (and a half! dammit!:D) weighed about 100lbs, and wore a size 3.5 ring.

"old model" Ruger action, fixed sights, and deadly accurate. Don't know about the new ones, sorry.

Too small for easy use by most adult men, about perfect for men with small hands, most women, and boys & girls.

As it happened, that Bearcat was one of the two guns my brother kept after our parents passed. One of these days, I'll get one, to give to my granddaughter when the time is right.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Very neat little gun. Only complaint I have with mine is that the sights are fixed and the gun doesn't shoot to point of aim.

CajunBass

Mom was 4"10 (and a half! dammit!)

LOL....I've got a sister who is 4' 11 and 3/4"...and you better NOT forget that 3/4 of an inch.

I had a Bearcat for a couple of years. I thought it was the perfect gun to carry when I didn't want to carry a gun. Not that it wasn't good for other times too. It was my bummin' around gun. I got a holster from Ruger that was just perfect for the Bearcat. If the Bearcat is "cute", that holster made it even "cutier"...if that's a word.

It was great for plinking at cans, pine cones, sticks, stones, and such. I scared several squirrels with it, but that was more my lack of skill than anything the gun did wrong.

At one point, I had the Bearcat and an Ithaca 49, single shot lever gun. Man I would have LOVED to have had that outfit when I was a kid. There wouldn't have been a rustler, or claim jumper in my end of Hanover County, Virginia.

Alas, I had to sell it during my great personal economic downturn, and never have replaced it.

FlyFish

I have one that I bought some years ago, along with a Henry Youth Model rifle, for when the young nieces and nephews came to visit. It has the same issues that everyone else mentioned, including not really shooting to point of aim, but it sure is . . . well, cute. The kids are all getting a bit too big for the Bearcat now, so I guess I should sell it but I just can't - too cute, I guess.

denster

I have two a new bearcat and a shopkeeper. Both are accurate but hard to shoot due to the size. You really have to pay attention to the trigger pull. They are built very close and as such will jam up with Remington ammo and some Federal when the rim thickness is over .047. Most everything else runs fine.

bedbugbilly

Mine is an old vintage "Super Bearcat" - yep small but I like it. It shoots well - anything from shorts to long rifles. An easy carry on the belt for on the farm, hiking, woods, etc. My wife doesn't like to shoot loud guns but the Bearcat is perfect for her. I have no experience with the new ones. My hands aren't large so I really have no problems with it. If a person has hands like "hams" . . it may be an issue.

On the other hand, I picked up a Heritage Rough Rider - a little bit larger and with a 4 3/4 barrel - not the quality of a more expensive gun but a decent shooter and a good value. It too, is a good carry on the farm, for hikes, woods, etc.

If I remember correctly, the new Bear Cats are pretty pricey. You should bd able to puck up a vintage one for $300 to $350 - at least that's what I'm seeing them in our area go for.

Ribcracker

Mine was manufactured in 1959 with the brass trigger guard and a silky smooth trigger. It's light as a feather with the aluminum frame and great fun to shoot.
But the fixed sights shot high no matter which load I tried so I had to build up the front sight with some JB Weld. Then I incrementally filed it down until elevation was perfect. Windage was already perfect.
Once I had judiciously sanded out the JB filler and colored it with a black marker, you'd never know it was built up without a strong light and very close look.
I love that little gun!