Ruger BalckHawk?

David Bachelder

Ruger Blackhawk?

I'm looking at getting a new ruger Blackhawk. Probably a 45/45Colt Convertable. I'm in no hurry and will spend a lot of time shopping for the best value.

I'm looking at Stainless vs Black finish. I like them both but have never had a stainless steel gun.

What are the pro's/cons of Stainless.

Which way would you go?

Last edited:

Salmoneye

Purely up to the individual...

I 'worry' less about my stainless, but I don't really fret if my SBH or BH get wet while hunting...

Some people dislike stainless for a woods gun as they don't want the 'flash' to spook game...Others swear by SS just for the reason that it may get wet and they worry less...

Funny, no one seemed to worry years ago about hunting waterfowl in the snottiest weather imaginable with blued guns with oiled walnut...Wipe down with an oiled rag, and good to go again tomorrow...

I firmly come down on the side that it is purely aesthetic, and up to the individual...

math teacher

We didn't worry about having blued guns because that is all we had. If you lived here on the coast where we get lots of rain and have salt in the air, you would really appreciate stainless.

zippy13

My Ruger revolvers are stainless.

This question will probably get more responses if moved to the handgun/revolver forum.

jepp2

While I have more blued revolvers than stainless, I prefer stainless. This is because stainless is more tolerant of aggressive cleaning and you have the ability to remove small handling marks that you can't with a blued handgun.

I don't polish my SS handguns as some people do. You just have a lot more versatility with SS than with a blued carbon steel surface.

Bob Wright

While I have been outspoken against stainless, its simply a matter of personal choice with me. I like blue and color case hardening and walnut on my guns. Pure choice. I do believe a blue gun is less obvious when discreet carry is involved, but you pays your money, you makes your choice.

Bob Wright

mje

Part of the reason I like my Blackhawk is the historical connection with the 19thC, and that is why I chose blue over stainless as well.

gc70

Blued full-sized Blackhawks have aluminum grip frames, which are lighter than the stainless grip frames on stainless Blackhawks. The difference in weight and balance of the gun matters to some people.

Edward429451

I prefer blue guns. We don't have rust problems here in Colorado.

I read years ago that blue steel is actually better steel (stronger) than stainless. I do not know if that holds true today, advances in metallurgy have happened.

Bob Wright

Blued full-sized Blackhawks have aluminum grip frames, which are lighter than the stainless grip frames on stainless Blackhawks. The difference in weight and balance of the gun matters to some people.

I have taken steps to eliminate the aluminum parts from my Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks, replacing them with all steel components.

In my opinion, both nickel plating and bluing "age" better than stainless. Ten years from now, stainless guns will look pretty much the same. Not so with my blue/case hardened sixguns. They will have attained that look one acquires with aging, much as a man's mane turns to gray over the years. That's character.

Bob Wright

black mamba

Stainless for me!

BisleyDogleg.jpg

tlm225

While I appreciate the practicality of stainless, the only stainless handguns I have are those that I CCW next to my sweaty hide. I prefer the look of blue steel and am willing to give extra maintenance to those I use for hunting and target shooting.

jhenry

I have never been able to warm up to stainless guns of any sort, let alone handguns. While I can appreciate some of the benefits, I have no affinity for them. Make mine blue please. Or parkerized in some instances.

rclark

While I have been outspoken against stainless, its simply a matter of personal choice with me. I like blue and color case hardening and walnut on my guns. Pure choice.
+1. Feel the same way. I have a couple SS Rugers but prefer the blued. I haven't found blued any more difficult to clean the stainless. SS is more rust 'resistant' but if you keep you guns in working order both will do just fine. If your lost, you can wave your gun as a mirror at a rescue plane too if you are lost ;) . Personal choice!

GeauxTide

I've owned a bunch of Rugers. I currently have two SS - a Bisley 45LC and a SBH 44. I have 3 Blued - Bisley 44SPL, 41Mag, and 22/WMR. The SS are smoother than the Blued. The blued that I now have were only available in those calibers.