Ruger AR-556 report

garryc

I took the Ruger out yesterday. I put on the detachable Leapers 4x AR scope. I was firing reloads 27 grains Ramshot Tac with a Hornady 55gr FMJ. I fired on a grid target. The ammo is loaded in mixed head-stamp, much LC but with commercial also. I selected rounds with the same head-stamp.

After I broke the trigger a few time to get the feel of it I fired 3 rounds from a bench rest at 100 yards. Those rounds went 14 inches low and 8 left. Those 3 rounds fell in a 3/4" group.

I turned the scope up until I thought it would be parallel to the grid. I fired three more, which again went into a 3/4" group. Now that I was parallel to the grid, but off its left side, I turned the scope up to parallel the bullseye.

I fired 3 more and they went just over an inch. I turned the scope into the bullseye and fired three more. Dead center and a 1-1/8th inch group.

All this was in just a few minutes so I let the rifle go cold. I then fired three more but did not select the same head-stamp and they went around 1-1/4 inches.

These are cheap bullets bought in bulk and the rifle did that with them. Not target ammo by any means, just blasting ammo.

Powdersmoke

I picked up a Ruger AR556 this fall. Quality appears to be good. Reliability with the three loads tested was 100%. Groups with Hornady 75g bthp match ammo averaged 1" at 100yds. I used it to take a nice fat doe this hunting season. I couldn't be happier with the rifle.

Dirty_Harry

For a budget AR this rifle would be my pick. It has nice features for the price. I am thinking about picking one up eventually just as a backup.

garryc

Looking at the specs, from what I understand the barrel diameter on an M-4 barrel behind the gas block, under the hand guard, is suppose to be .72. The Ruger's is .85. Wouldn't that make it a medium contour barrel?