Ruger and Springfield Armory

gbclarkson

I have been searching for an automatic to fit my girly-sized hands. The Sig P229 I have now is too bulky. Today, I handled both a Ruger SR9 and a Springfield XD-series (also 9mm). They fit much better than the Sig. I am leaning towards the Ruger because of a more natural feeling grip angle. It will most likely be just a 1000ish round per year range gun. I was not allowed to dry fire either due to local laws. Are accessories (sights, holsters, magazines) available, plentiful and reasonably priced for both? Springfield Armory has a custom shop. If I want action and/or reliability tuning for the Ruger, are smiths out there that won't void a warranty? Is there a good reason not to get the Ruger?

I look forward to responses.

Thanks,

Geoff

DaleA

Same question as gyvel in post #2...

Ruger is a great company.

Ruger famously does NOT offer a warrantee but there are legions of satisfied customers that sing the praises of Ruger's customer services. You can read their rationale for this action on their FAQ page in the section 'Service Department' - choose the question 'Why No Warranty Card Has Been Packed With Your New Ruger Firearm?'

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q121

P.S. I like Springfield Armory too...I suspect either choice will be fine, flip a coin or just go with whichever feels best to YOU.

Nodak1858

I don't have big hands either. One of my favorite guns is my XD 9mm subcompact.
Even with the short barrel it's one of the handguns I do the best with accuracy wise. I have a Ruger P90 as well, I like it, built like a tank. But I still take the XD out more often.

LockedBreech

I'd rate the SR9 and XD as approximately equal. Neither is my first choice but neither is likely to give you any trouble.

USMC 77-81

Ruger and S.A. are both fine companies, I have guns by both. Pick the one that feels best in your hand or, go to a range which has the two you listed for rent and shoot both, it may cost a little more but you will only cry over that cost once. One caveat, the Ruger is American made and the S.A.. XD series are Croatian made (correct me if I'm wrong) and I am currently on a 'Buy American' agenda.

Lexspeed

Have you considered an HK VP9? I have small hands as well and that gun felt great in my hand; as did the Walther PPQ. Several good small hand choices.

vyse.04

I don't know what type of gun you are looking for, but with the P229 have you tried a P239? I bought one awhile back and it replaced my Glock 26 for go to CC. Perfect balance of weight and concealability for me, but that obviously depends on how you feel about the Sig P Series platform. Between your choices I would go on feel, as that will be the most noticable difference. Accessories are similar between the two, but I'd recommend buying the stock gun that you prefer. If you want a solid platform for upgrades as needed, I would look at Glocks.

And the XD's are made in Croatia.

CajunBass

I still want to know where it's "illegal" to dry fire a gun in a gun store.

When I went into a gun store in Illinois I was told I couldn't even handle a gun in the store because I wasn't a resident and as such, didn't have a FOID card.

I took the guys word for it.

J_wood

Wow that sucks. Here in MN you can handle, dry fire and even test holster/gun combos.

I love my SR9. 1000s of trouble free rounds. Natural pointer for me. And 17rnds( which I'm guessing you also are not allowed

lee n. field

When I went into a gun store in Illinois I was told I couldn't even handle a gun in the store because I wasn't a resident and as such, didn't have a FOID card.

I took the guys word for it.

That might be a store policy, but that is not Ill-i-noise law.

45_auto

g.willikers said:
It's plumb amazing how many store clerks still think that dry firing harms anything modern.

What I find even more amazing is the number of gun enthusiasts that think dry firing DOESN'T harm anything modern.

I can understand the ignorant clerk, good chance he's just some poor guy working for minimum wage with no particular interest or knowledge in the gun, toaster, shoes, produce, bagels, or whatever other item he's selling.

You would think that a regular poster on a gun forum would be more informed.

For example, hopefully you haven't been shopping and testing S&W .22 revolvers lately:

From S&W:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...750001_750051_757815_-1_757814_757812_image#2

Can I dry fire my S&W handgun?
Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.

Ibmikey

45 auto, By your own post S&W says it is ok to dry fire "except" rimfires. I have about sixty years of dry firing under my belt and never broke a pin yet, however, there are firearms that should not such as Star pistols and as mentioned rimfires.
Normally i use snap caps but certainly not a necessity, my AR's have been dry fired since day one and still soldiering on. I think back on our 03 Springfields in ROTC training and the jillions of times they were dry fired and then used for range qualification.

gbclarkson

Local laws or store policy????
I still want to know where it's "illegal" to dry fire a gun in a gun store.

As has been guessed: Illinois. An easy guess. I am not sure if it was property policy or local ordinance or state law in effect, but it was annoying. I handled the aforementioned guns at a gun show. Maybe a gun show law was in effect. One LGS trigger locks everything and will not remove the lock until the purchased gun is out the door with the customer.

have you tried a P239

I did, years ago. I went with the P229 instead because I thought I needed a combat pistol. I have not taken it to combat. I was given something else to take. Anyway, I have been berating myself since. Now, as a public servant, I don't want to pay Sig P-series prices.

Have you considered an HK VP9?

No, but I am trying to avoid Sig P-series prices. My first automatic was an HK USP. I traded it because it was too big. Do the two have a similar grip circumference?

I would look at Glocks.
Have you tried a sW m&p?

I have handled an M&P and fired a few double-stack Glocks... still too big and boxy. I also handled a Beretta PX at the gun show and that thing was HUGE. I could barely get the tip of my finger on the trigger in DA. To get an idea of my hand size: My wife's medium winter gloves leave some wiggle space.

I recently fell in love with a Bersa BP9cc. I am looking for an equivalent but bigger. I think I am divorcing DA/SA in favor of newer, younger striker fired systems. What happened to me? Trigger distance????

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

How is the SR trigger?

Geoff