Ruger American Ranch

9x19

Finally found a 5.56 for a decent price ($365), should be here next week. (Picture from Ruger's website:
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html )

I like the short barrel for getting in and out of my truck, and the .223 is a good coyote pill and easily capable of taking most Texas deer, and even feral hogs with the right load and shorter distance. I'm hoping this 1/8 twist rate barrel proves accurate with the 69 grain BTHPs.

Already ordered a couple spare mags (makes it easy to carry different loads and quickly change them out if needed), now I just have to decide what scope goes on top... I'm thinking a good 2x-7x

May have to get another in .300 AAC if this one proves itself (aalthough I'd really like one in 7.62x39). Anyone else shooting an American in .223?

6965.jpg

Last edited:

Rmart30

Looks nice , I like short compact guns... is the barrel threaded? I agree one in 7.62x39 would be nice also.

Because 'Merica

Not a ruger american but a Savage 10 in .223. 64 grain Barnes tsx's will do the trick on deer / hog/ coyotes. Barnes varmint grenades are awesome on coyotes

teejhot.40cal

I will say savage has been moving there product line upward. I'm impressed with what they have done with R&D. Still rather have a ruger or a remington though.

Kachok

I just want Ruger to offer me a stainless 6.5 Creedmore, sorry but their matte finish is crap, but a stainless accurate rifle in the perfect deer caliber is a worthwhile investment.

They are what they are

The cheap rifles use the matte finish to cover imperfections which reduces labor and materials to keep the cost low. FWIW Remington's 710 & 770 series rifles have their barrels pressed in the receiver, when the barrels are shot out the rifle is a throw away! Ruger says their barrels are threaded, the barrels are 16.2" long, if you damage one of these barrel and have to have the crown recut it may have to be cut less than the legal length which is 16" and need the barrel replaced.. For people who don't have the resources to pay two or three times the price of these cheap guns without a doubt they are a viable option, been there done that, I just don't happen to have any now.. William

Last edited:

9x19

Unless the stainless is finished differently than their 77s were, I'll stay with the matte black. Ruger's stainless always had too bright a finish for my tastes.

The low-cost guns don't bother me if they shoot, and the matte/synthetic works for me as this gun will see plenty of time out doors, where the BDLs or Featherweights seem to pick up dings/scratches a lot easier. ;)

That 16.2" barrel is also threaded, so you can screw a nice linear comp, or any other muzzle protection device of your choice, on the front and have no worries about the crown.

jmr40

Unless the stainless is finished differently than their 77s were, I'll stay with the matte black. Ruger's stainless always had too bright a finish for my tastes.

Ruger went to a bead blasted matte finish in 2006. I like it much better than the old polished SS.

I have one of the compacts in 223. Mine is a tack driver. I think the best of the budget guns. I have better guns, but at $350 or so this is one that I don't really care if it gets beat up.