Ruger American Ranch

Sappyg

Looks good on paper. I see that it's chambered for 5.56. Why do you suppose that is? Personally I like the compact's stock.

When they fix the magazines it may turn out to be a nice rifle. I would hold off on pestering the LGS manager just yet.

10-96

Am I the onliest one who just cant cotton up to plastic trigger guards? To me, even a stamped TG like on the 03A3 looks better than a formed-in plastic one. (yes, I know this rifle has a removable mag and a 03A3 TG wouldn't work- just saying for examples)

jmr40

Nothing wrong with the Magazines, that I know of.

Some of the first 223's had magazines that would not feed the last round. Ruger replaced them if sent in and some guys figured out an easy fix for those not wanting to return theirs. All others are fine.

I'd rather live with the compact stock to get the 18" barrel vs 16" on the Ranch model. Would seriously consider the standard model cut to 20", which I'd think is about right.

steveNChunter

I'm still just waiting for a stock that's not so flimsy that it touches the barrel when you use a bipod or shoot off bags.

Is that asking too much??

mxsailor803

I think I may have to order one of these in .300blk eventually. Figured I'd wait a little while to make sure there are no kinks to work out. Throw on a little 2-7x32 and I might have me a new close range woods bolt gun.

jmr40

I'm still just waiting for a stock that's not so flimsy that it touches the barrel when you use a bipod or shoot off bags.

Is that asking too much??

A bit of sandpaper or a file is your friend. I own 2, a 223 compact and standard rifle in 308. 10 minutes of work on each and they are perfect, both shoot around 1/2 MOA. You could get a better stock, but not sell the rifle for $350. Doesn't make sense to buy an aftermarket stock and turn a $350 rifle into a $500-$600 rifle that doesn't shoot any better. If someone wants to spend $600 on a rifle there are lots of options. The RAR is what it is. And it's not an heirloom rifle that will get passed down to the grandkids. I doubt it will last that long anyway, and I already own much nicer guns. It's just a simple cheap beater that shoots amazingly well. When it breaks I'll toss it and buy another.