Ruger American Pistol: Pros and Cons?

Siggy-06

I'm in the market for another high capacity, full size 9mm and came across the Ruger American in 9mm. From what I've read it seems like a good pistol, though a bit heavy and some complain of a long trigger reset. I've found prices sub $350 online for these guns which is nice(for my wallet), and have always had great experiences with Ruger customer service.

Whats the consensus here on TFL? Any more pros or cons from owners or those that have shot them? The pistol will mostly be for range work and home defense after my Mossberg 500. Thanks all!

-Sig

Siggy-06

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I've watched a handful of reviews. If I dont go with the RAP, it'll be the CZ P-07.

sigarms228

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I've watched a handful of reviews. If I dont go with the RAP, it'll be the CZ P-07.

I have not read much anything bad about the Ruger but on the other hand have not read much about anyone being very excited about it either. Between the Ruger and the CZ P07, I would go with the CZ P07 any day. Another pistol in that price range, well under $500 street price, to check out would be the new M&P 2.0 as I am reading a lot of good things about it and was able to shoot one a couple weeks ago and found it pretty impressive. The new striker fired CZ P-10C is supposed to be out soon too.

Good luck in your choice.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20-1

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-10-c/

jetinteriorguy

My P07 is by far the best 9mm I've ever owned. At least for me it's the perfect gun. This is the list of 9mm semi auto's I've owned, S&W model 39, Ruger LC9s, CZ P09, S&W full size M&P, Taurus PT111 G2, FEG Hi Power clone, CZ 75B SA, and CZ P07. I've also shot a few Glocks and SA XD's.

Vulcannut

I have a RAP full size in 9mm. Put about 600 rounds through it no issues. It's a heavy piece compared to say a Glock 17 but it's what I would say it's overbuilt made to take abuse - not that I would. It is top heavy and some complain about the grip but I have no issues with it. I intend on getting the compact version soon. The online price being sub 350 makes very appealing.

My first post on this forum good stuff everyone.

Shotgun Slim

I have handled and shot one of these Ruger Americans. My overall impression was favorable as far as stock guns in the same class go. The trigger was nicer than your Glock/XD/M&p triggers. Did not care for the sights but they are ok for the price range. Recoil and accuracy were good. Nothing really bad about it. Don't know how the aftermarket support may shape up-guess that will depend on how well it sells.

Siggy-06

Quick update: I'm leaning towards an XDM9 compact. I like the grip and trigger a lot better, and Springfield is running a promotion with 4 free mags and holster. I can run full size 19rd mags with grip extension so I get that full size feel I want for range/defense work, and may still conceal carry it.

t45

I thought I wanted a RAP because my wife has a SR9 and I wish it was mine. Comparison between the two, my opinion is that I still want the SR9 instead. It fits me perfectly. Hers has never had an issue with anything I've put through it and really like the grip angle. It points naturally for me.

DPris

Member Emeritus
5500 rounds of factory ammo through a full-sized American 9mm in a little over a month.
Lubed once prior to commencing shooting.
Never cleaned.

The two longest sessions were 1500 rounds each.
Gun was essentially bone dry after the first thousand rounds, got quite warm.
Tested for accuracy at the beginning & end, shot better at the end, still dirty.

Same mag used through all shooting.

One misfeed malfunction towards the end, a very light bullet with a low recoil impulse.

Use the right grip insert & center the pistol in your hand, the thumb-knuckle issue can disappear.
Denis

Spats McGee

Administrator
I haven't shot one, but I've handled one. It felt good in my hand, and I'd love to shoot one. While I'm not usually one to buy a gun that's brand new on the market, I'd take a chance on this one, if I were buying. I've had good experiences with all of my Rugers in the past.