Ruger American and TC Venture

Joe Chicago

While at Cabelas today I had the chance to handle a Ruger American and TC Venture (which are back in the stores after a recall). The Ruger feels just plain cheap. It might shoot great, but the materials and fit & finish are bargain basement. In contrast, the TC seems better made and more substantial.

Has anyone here had a chance to shoot the new Ruger? How is it?

Orion6

It's meant to be cheap. Ruger never said it was a premium, hand fitted rifle.

The TC Venture should be noticeably nicer.

L_Killkenny

I had a TC Venture for a awhile and it was a good, solid, accurate rifle. Probably noticeably better than the Ruger. But first issue would be that it, due to the 60 deg bolt throw I assume, can be hard/stiff to work the bolt to eject a spent cartridge. 2nd.... I did sell it for reasons not related to the gun but and it's resale is crap. Maybe it's because it's new, maybe it's for some perceived issue it may have but when I tried to sell it at the gun show both dealers and private individuals alike ran like the wind when I told em what it was.

For that last reason I wouldn't buy another. Something in the wind.......

LK

jmr40

Never shot either, but have handled both. Both seem very cheaply made. The TC is considerably heavier which may seem to be better quality to some. The TC has earned a reputation as a very accurate budget rifle. Reports are that the Ruger is as well. I guess it depends on whether you want a lightweight 6 lb gun or a heavier 7+ lb gun.