Ruger American 300BlkOut 100yard Card Challenge

Mr.RevolverGuy

Shooting subsonic at 100 Yards
It feels like it is shooting better the more I shoot it.
DSC01755.jpg

DSC01756.jpg

DSC01757.jpg

Who else likes lobbing subsonic reloads at a distance of 100 yards or greater?

Sharkbite

Im only getting about 1.5-2 moa at best. Its the same load that i shoot in my 9” AR SBR, so functioning that gun takes priority over fine tuned accuracy.

I just dont want to have to load, stock and keep mtpl loads that are only meant to shoot in certain guns.

So, i load for the AR and shoot those loads out of the 700....works ok for me.

taylorce1

My suppressor is still in jail 8 months and counting. I bought it because of my Ruger Ranch .300 BLK as well. Best group I ever shot was around 1.25 MOA at 300 yards on a 12X12 steel plate with 220 grain factory ammunition. If I change out the scope I might do better, I'm not fond of the Nikon P300 scope that came on the rifle.

I’ve shot out to 250yds with subsonics from my 9” AR. It was pretty close to plunging fire at that point. Accuracy was enough to hit a 10x12” plate with no trouble; but probably not as much accuracy as you’d need to make a clean kill at that range - even assuming you could dope wind and range accurately enough. That’s one of the problems with subs at longer ranges - the drops over 5yds are so dramatic that even minor ranging errors mean major poi changes.

Heck, I mixed up a magazine of 220gr SMKs with 220gr Rem Flatbase subsonics and that was enough to cause complete misses on the plate at 250.

Road_Clam

Thats some real good precision for subs. I shoot my supressed 12" 300blk AR out to 200 meters and with the 220 smk im lucky to hold 4 moa. Im not looking for uber precise. Im looking for the silent / DING off a 12" gong .

Mr.RevolverGuy

My accuracy needs to be able to get multiple hogs in a precise humane SILENT manner without wildly firing :) They are so skittish though I have seen 3 killed all within 50 seconds before all the others ran off.

taylorce1

I wish I had a place to hunt hogs, I'm just glad they aren't here in CO in any numbers. I'm going to have to stick to white tails in OK for now, but I'll probably use 110-125 grain supers for that.

What scope are you using MRG?

ndking1126

MrRevolverGuy, interesting range set up. I assume blocking wind was a central design idea with the blocks and Lowes tarps? How well does it work?

hammie

@MRRevolver & Taylorforce: I hope I'm not straying off topic, but the theme is the ruger American and .300 Blackout? Anyway, have either of you or others had feeding problems with the .300 Blackout ruger American? I seem to get feeding problems with the shorter bullets. And, maybe the answer is similar to the old joke where the guy goes to the doctor and says that it hurts when I do this, and the doctor replies, "Then don't do that." So perhaps I just need to load longer profile bullets. (I'm using Remington 125 grain bullets which are conical and stubby.)

Again, have others had feeding problems with this rifle and chambering, and what have you done?

Mr.RevolverGuy

Hammie,

I have heard of others having the same issue on 300blktalk forum but luckily I have not had that issue.

Sorry I could not help.

hammie

@Mr.Revolver: I appreciate your reply. My problem may be just as simple as the wrong "overall cartridge length", although I'm not a big fan of the ruger American rotary magazine, which seems sort of flimsy. I'm thinking about adding an American predator, chambered for 6.5 Grendel. It has, I believe, an AR style detachable box magazine, and it may not be as picky about feeding. Thanks for sharing your shooting experience and photos.

FrankenMauser

MOA?
What is this nonsense?
I thought .300 Blk subs were just for putting smiles on faces.

I built my .300 Blk AR upper under the pretense of quiet, close-range hunting, after my first suppressor was 'in jail'.
So far, it has only been used to make people smile and giggle.
Though not the initial plan, I don't have a problem with it. ;)