Ruger African...in.223????

bamaranger

I was in Bud's Guns in Pidgeon Forge today and saw a Ruger Hawkeye, complete with white front bead, barrel band sling eyelet, matte finish and satin walnut, looking all the world like a dangerous game rifle.....chambered in of all things, .223:confused:!

What did I see, was that really a production chambering.....everything looked correct.....perhaps from the Ruger Custom Shop if there is such a thing?

Seems an odd combo to me.

taylorce1

They made them a few years ago, they were a regular production rifle. They're from around 2010 era, about the same time they offered an African in 9.3X62. They were supposed to allow for cheap practice with the same sized rifle as the your .375 H&H.

Pumpkin

I think it would be a fun rifle. I’m sure nice looking too. My 527 Lux got shot quite a bit with open sights before I put a compact scope on it.

bamaranger

trainer

Did a it more reading and the .223 African did exist and was indeed intended as a "trainer" for their other large caliber African rifles. Apparently the smallbore is a rather rare duck.

Whoever had it had removed the HD rear express DG sight and mounted a 30mm 3 turret high magnification scope, the rifle was essentially a "dangerous varmint" rifle. :D